The Leadership Development Fund for Marginalized and Historically Underrepresented Groups (formerly the Career Development Fund for Women and Designated Groups) is administered by the Office of the Vice-President, Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion to help address barriers to career advancement and support the leadership development of Indigenous peoples, people with disabilities/disabled people, women, racialized people, the 2SLGBTQQIA+ community, and other equity-deserving groups.
Fund Overview and Application Process
The fund is available to employees who hold a permanent appointment at the University of Windsor and self-identify as members of marginalized and/or historically underrepresented groups, including Indigenous peoples, people with disabilities/disabled people, women, racialized people, the 2SLGBTQQIA+ community, and other equity-deserving groups.
The fund can be used to offset the cost of participating in leadership-development opportunities including but not limited to:
- Comprehensive leadership-development training programs, such as the programs offered by the Centre for Higher Education Research and Development (CEHRD), Senior Women Academic Administrators of Canada (SWAAC), the Canadian Association of University Business Officers (CAUBO), and other discipline-specific leadership development programs.
- Workshops designed to enhance specific leadership competencies, such as "Leadership in a Hybrid Environment," or "Transformational Leadership."
- Leadership assessment and debriefing carried out by a certified professional.
- Executive/leadership coaching carried out by a certified coaching professional.
Eligible expenditures also include associated travel, accommodations, and meal costs as per the University of Windsor Travel Policy.
Tuition fees for degree programs and professional membership/licensing fees are not covered by this program.
The total annual funding available is $50,000, which will be distributed on a first-come first-served basis. Employees may request up to $3,000 to offset the cost of participating in leadership-development opportunities. Individuals interested in attending programs that exceed the $3,000 maximum distribution are encouraged to explore other funding opportunities with their respective Dean, Executive Director, or Vice-President.
To apply for the fund
- Obtain a letter of support from your Dean, Executive Director, or Vice-President.
- Gather information supporting your request for funds, such as a program brochure, registration form, or workshop details.
- Complete the Leadership Development Fund application form, available here.
- Either upload your letter of support and supporting materials to the application form or send your documents as attachments via email to Office of VP, Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion, c/o Administrative Assistant Kate Hargreaves at email@example.com.
Applicants will be notified of a decision within 15 working days of submission of the application form and all supporting documentation.
Expenses will be reimbursed upon completion of the leadership-development opportunity for which the funds were approved.
Submit expenses to your department head/supervisor, and once approved via the UWinsite Finance system, your department will be reimbursed up to $3,000.
Please submit receipts and the UWinsite Finance expense approval email to the Office of the VP, Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion c/o Kate Hargreaves (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Requests for expense advances may be made. Please note this request in your application. Advances must first be paid out by the relevant department, and the OVPEDI will reimburse the department for the advance upon receipt of the expense report.
Should you require further information, please contact Kate Hargreaves, Administrative Assistant, Organizational Development & Anti-Racism Organizational Change, Office of the VP, Equity, Diversity, & Inclusion at email@example.com or ext. 2095.