The University website is a collection of more than 1000 individual websites with more than 300,000 pages of content.
The University website is a collaborative effort by:
- Content Editors
Who provide, edit and upload content for web sites
- Web Services Group (WSG) in IT Services
Who provide technical support, custom programming, and e-commerce solutions
- Public Affairs and Communications (PAC)
Who provide site design and branding, editor access, audit sites and provide communications support
UWindsor's web presence is developed in the free, open-source, content management system called Drupal. The current version is Drupal 7.
Drupal 7—Full PAC and IT support, including graphic design and custom programming is available.
Drupal 6—Maintenance support is still available, however:
- PAC no longer provides training for this older version of Drupal
- PAC no longer offers graphic design services for this platform
- IT Services no longer does custom programming in Drupal 6
Lotus Notes / IBM Notes—the university no longer supports this platform for websites.
Wordpress / Other CMS / Custom HTML—the university will host third-party sites, for faculty and staff, on a limited basis but provides no other support.
What is Drupal?
Drupal is a content management system (CMS). The user-friendly interface allows content editors to easily publish, manage and organize information from their browser.
Benefits of Drupal:
- editors do not need to write code
- version control
- digital asset management
- widely-used, mature and stable
- can handle a heavy traffic load