Jasminka Kalajdzic joined the Faculty of Law in 2009 after twelve years in private practice as a civil litigator. Her current research focuses on three areas: access to justice; class actions; and legal ethics. She has published a number of recent peer-reviewed articles, including papers on judicial approaches to settlement standards in class actions, legal ethics and class action praxis, and commercial litigation funding.
Professor Kalajdzic has presented her research at a number of conferences, including the 5th Globalization of Class Actions and Mass Litigation in The Hague (December 2011), the 2012 Law and Society Association Conference in Hawaii, and the 43nd Annual Consumer and Commercial Law Workshop at McGill University (October 2013). She has organized two successful conferences: a two-day conference held in March 2011 entitled "Accessing Justice: Appraising Class Actions Ten Years After Dutton, Hollick & Rumley"; and a two-day conference held in July 2013 entitled "Commercial Litigation Funding: Ethical, Regulatory and Comparative Perspectives". A special volume of the Supreme Court Law Review and a book containing the class action conference papers, of which she is the General Editor, were published in October 2011. The Commercial Litigation Funding conference papers were published in a special volume of the Canadian Business Law Journal (2014).
Professor Kalajdzic teaches Access to Justice, Evidence, Class Actions and a Law & Catastrophe seminar, and was selected by students for a teaching and mentorship award in 2007. She is the Articles Editor for the Windsor Yearbook of Access to Justice, the faculty's refereed law journal. In July 2014, she was appointed to her second three-year term as a member of the Law Foundation of Ontario's Class Proceedings Committee, and in 2013, to the Law Commission of Ontario's Advisory Group for its Class Actions Project.
Conference Presentations (2011-2014)
- National Judicial Institute, Class Action Seminar (April 2014)
- LSUC Alternative Business Structures Symposium (October 2013)
- 43rd Annual Workshop on Consumer and Commercial Law, McGill Univ. (October 2013)
- CBA National Summit on Access to Justice, Vancouver (April 2013)
- National Judicial Institute, Class Actions Seminar, Toronto (April 2013)
- Class Actions Defence Roundtable, St. Andrews Club, Toronto (March 2013)
- 42nd Annual Workshop on Consumer and Commercial Law, Dalhousie University (October 2012)
- 2012 International Legal Ethics Conference V, Banff (July 2012)
- 2012 International Law and Society Association Conference, Hawaii (June 2012)
- 9th Annual Osgoode Symposium on Class Actions (Toronto, April 2012)
- 5th Annual Conference on the Globalization of Class Actions , The Hague (December 2011)
- IMF Shareholder Class Action Conference, Sydney (November 2011)
- 2011 Law and Society Association Annual Meeting, San Francisco (July 2011)
- Symposium on Funding the Charter Challenge, University of Toronto (April 2011)
- Accessing Justice: Appraising Class Actions Ten Years After Dutton, Hollick & Rumley, Univ. of Windsor (March 2011)
- Middle Income Access to Civil Justice Colloquium, University of Toronto (February 2011)