Coming to campus? Visit this page for important information.

FAQ: For Students

Coronavirus, COVID-19 Related

Do I need to wear a mask?

Effective July 27, 2020, the University of Windsor will require individuals to wear a non-medical mask or face covering when entering and exiting all campus buildings and in common spaces where physical distancing may be difficult (entrances, exits, hallways, stairwells, lounges, washrooms and elevators).


  1. All members of the University of Windsor community shall take responsibility for a safe and healthy campus environment.  Accordingly, everyone should follow, uphold and communicate this policy.
  2. All individuals are required to wear a non-medical mask or face covering when entering all campus buildings.
  3. All individuals are required to wear a non-medical mask or face covering when in common spaces where physical distancing may be difficult, such as entrances/exits, stairwells, hallways, lounges, washrooms and elevators.
  4. No individual shall be required to provide proof of any of the exemptions set out in the exemption section of this policy.
  5. Signs at building entrances to campus buildings shall indicate masks are required upon entry.
  6. There will be a communication regarding this policy.  The communication shall include information on best practices, public health advice and applicable legislation.
  7. All workers will be provided with a non-medical mask or face covering and instructions on how to properly wear, care for and dispose of the mask.
  8. Breaches of this Policy may result in disciplinary action. Violations under any current public health order, city bylaw or provincial legislation are also subject to charges and fines.


I have – or I think I might have – COVID. What should I do?

This FAQ explains how you can let us know, and the steps we will take to protect your privacy.

The process is different for students living in residence to minimize risk and ensure the safety of the whole residence community, and you can find that information here.

If you are experiencing COVID symptoms or are generally feeling ill:

  • Stay home.
  • Contact the Winsor Essex County Health Unit (WECHU) or your health care provider, to receive medical support based on your individual symptoms. More information about COVID symptoms is available from WECHU.
  • We strongly encourage you to let us know so that we can support you, and do everything we can to minimize risk to others.

Reporting that you may have COVID is voluntary, but it can help us support you better, and limit risk to other members of the campus community.

If you have a confirmed case of COVID-19:

  • WECHU will work with you on a case plan.
  • Part of that will be instructions to contact the University.

How to Let Us Know:

You can communicate your illness or risk of illness to faculty administrative staff or an instructor, or communicate directly to the University’s COVID Case Response Team at Should you choose to disclose your COVID-19 status, the person to whom you make the disclosure will:

  • Advise you to stay in your residence or stay at home.
  • Ask whether you have contacted the Windsor Essex County Health Unit and/or your health care provider. WECHU will provide you with instructions for self-isolation, self-monitoring or other actions to be taken if required.
  • Ask you for your full name, the faculty you’re in, and basic contact information. This will only be shared with people who will play a role in supporting you during your illness and health authorities as required. This information will be used to help support your care and campus safety. Your personal information will not be shared beyond those individuals.
  • Provide you with health and wellness resources

An individual from the COVID Case Response team will follow up with you with further questions and information about how to proceed.

If you require academic accommodations, the University has waived until further notice the requirement for students to submit a doctor’s note in support of a request for academic accommodations. You can speak directly to your instructor or use the self-report module on UWinsite Student. Beyond the waiver of the medical note requirement, normal academic policies apply to the process of academic accommodation.

Student Employees

If you are an employee of the university, your responsibilities are somewhat different, and guidelines can be found here.

What are the symptoms of novel Coronavirus?

Those who are infected with COVID-19 may have little to no symptoms. You may not know you have symptoms of COVID-19 because they are similar to a cold or flu.

Symptoms can include:

  • Cough
  • Shortness of breath or difficulty breathing
  • Fever
  • Chills
  • Muscle pain
  • Sore throat
  • New loss of taste or smell

This list does not contain all possible symptoms. The Windsor-Essex County Health Unit maintains a listing of COVID-19 symptoms at

Symptoms may take up to 14 days to appear after exposure to COVID-19. This is the longest known incubation period for this disease.

Should you experience these symptoms, avoid contact with others and follow up with your health care professional by phone in advance of attending a clinic or hospital. Registered students can visit either Student Health Services on campus or an off-campus walk-in clinic. Staff and faculty can follow up with their family physician or a local walk-in clinic. Alternatively, contact the Windsor-Essex County Health Unit or Telehealth Ontario at 1-866-797-0000.

What can I do to protect myself?
  • Stay at home unless you must go to work and avoid all non-essential trips in your community
  • Do not gather in groups
  • When away from home, practice physical distancing including avoiding crowded places and non-essential gatherings; avoiding common greetings, such as handshakes; and keeping a distance of at least 2 metres (6 feet) from others
  • Practice proper hygiene including washing your hands regularly for at least 20 seconds with soap and water or an alcohol-based hand sanitizer; coughing or sneezing into a tissue or the bend of your arm; and avoiding touching your eyes, nose or mouth with unwashed hands
  • Regularly clean high-touch surfaces such as phones, electronics, door handles, tabs, toilets, etc using regular household cleaners or diluted bleach according to the label directions

If you are experiencing cold- or flu-like symptoms stay home and isolate for 14 days. Contact your health care professional, Telehealth Ontario at 1-866-797-0000 or Windsor Essex County Health Unit. Students can also contact Student Health Services. For students living in residence please email to let them know.

General FAQs

I am feeling heightened levels of stress and/or anxiety. Where can I find mental health resources and support?

To find resources and supports to help take care of your wellness visit these sites dedicated to information about how to care for yourself as well as many virtual services available to you, including some which are accessible 24/7:

*Note: Resources are currently and continually being updated to reflect all service changes and new offerings.

Student Counselling Centre remains open for video and phone appointments and free 24/7 talk and text counselling is available for all students through the My Student Support Program (MySSP).

University Operations Related

Classes are going to be delivered through alternative means, but will the University be open and running?

To ensure the health and safety of our campus community during the COVID-19 pandemic, the University of Windsor is currently operating on an essential-services only model. Campus buildings are closed, but the University continues to operate with some employees working on campus and others working remotely. Even though the faculty and staff that support your learning are not physically on campus, they are committed to your success and are available to you remotely. 

Which departments at the University are considered essential services?

With the University of Windsor operating on an essential-services only model, some employees will be required to continue working on campus while others will be asked to work remotely.

The following have been identified as some essential services areas:

  • Student Health Services
  • Campus Community Police
  • Energy Conversion Centre
  • Central Animal Care Facility
  • Facility Services
  • Food Services
  • Financial Services
  • Human Resources
  • Information Technology Services
  • Residence Services
  • Senior Administration

Managers and supervisors with responsibilities for essential services areas will be identifying individuals and positions within those areas who will be required to continue to report to work and will work with those employees on scheduling and discuss any other matters that may arise.


Academic, Class-Related

I am a student in a health care setting off-campus. Are there additional precautions I should take?

For our students who are doing placements in health care settings, the Faculty of Nursing and the Schulich School of Medicine and Dentistry are in consultation with the University’s various health care partners. In the event any action or precautions are to be taken concerning Cornavirus, students in these programs will be advised promptly by their program administrators or by their placement organization. While on clinical placements, University of Windsor students will be provided with the appropriate personal protective equipment (PPE) in accordance with Health Canada.

I am registered with Student Accessibility Services. Now that classes and exams will be delivered outside of the classroom, how will my accommodations be addressed in class and during exams?

Students with disabilities continue to work with their Disability Advisors to determine appropriate accommodations. Students are required to register each semester with their Advisor. Accommodation letters are prepared for students to send to their instructors.

Although exams will not be written on campus, Advisors are available to discuss options with Instructors. 


I live in residence and think I may have flu-like symptoms. What should I do?

If you experience flu-like symptoms while living in residence, please contact your doctor and email Residence Services at: You may want to purchase the following items to keep on hand as a precautionary measure:

  • Over-the-counter medication to reduce aches and fever (e.g., acetaminophen or ibuprofen)
  • Cough medicine and throat lozenges
  • Any prescription medicines you take
  • A thermometer (non-mercury)
  • Tissues
  • Hand sanitizer (should contain at least 60% alcohol)
  • Disinfecting wipes or cleaning products to clean your shared and personal space
  • A water canteen or bottled water, and juice
Will residence be open for the 2020/21 academic year?

Residence will be open for students who choose to live on campus in the fall and winter semesters of 2020-2021. Building options may change throughout the summer based on operational requirements. Students who have received their room assignment for fall winter 2020-2021, can still live on campus in the fall and winter terms. Based on occupancy, Residence Services reserves the right to change room assignments, if necessary.

If a change is made to a building and/or room assignment, students will be notified individually throughout the summer. No additional fees will be charged if students are required to move to a residence hall with a higher room rate.

We understand that there are many questions regarding the recent announcement of the University of Windsor moving to primarily online delivery of courses in Fall 2020 and have created a landing page on the Residence Services website, Residence for Fall 2020..."Quick Facts" to help address more of your questions and concerns. 



I am a University of Windsor student who is coming to UWindsor for the first time; or, I am returning to my studies and I’m from a region where there are higher incidences of the Coronavirus BUT I do not have any flu-like symptoms. What should I do?

The Government of Canada has put in place an emergency order under the Quarantine Act. It applies to all travellers arriving in Canada. Its purpose is to slow the spread of COVID-19 in Canada. Failure to comply with this order is an offence under the Quarantine Act.

I am a UWindsor student, staff, or faculty member planning to travel in the coming days or weeks. What should I do?

An official global travel advisory and pandemic COVID-19 travel health notice are in effect. The Government of Canada advises against all non-essential travel until further notice. The University supports this position and has suspended all non-essential travel for University-related business. If you are required to travel for essential University-related business, you are required to get approval for such travel from your Dean (faculty) or your supervisor (staff).

For personal travel, students, staff and faculty should carefully review the Government of Canada’s travel advisory website Careful consideration should be given to these travel advisories. In some cases, travel and health insurance can be impacted and voided if you travel to regions that have been deemed Non-Essential or where there is an Avoid All Travel advisory. 

It is important to consult with your health insurance provider before travelling to confirm coverage.

For many students, staff and faculty, out of country health coverage is provided by Green Shield. Please consult their online information regarding Coronavirus.

I am affected by travel restrictions and cannot return to Canada. What should I do?

If you are a student and are unable to return to the University as a result of the travel restrictions, you should contact the Office of Student Experience (

I have arrived in Windsor from travelling abroad. What should I do?

The Government of Canada has put in place an emergency order under the Quarantine Act. It applies to all travellers arriving in Canada. Its purpose is to slow the spread of COVID-19 in Canada. Failure to comply with this order is an offence under the Quarantine Act.

If you have just arrived in Windsor, and do not have any cold- or flu-like symptoms, you must quarantine without delay for 14 days. This is mandatory.

If you are Canadian or a permanent resident, and you have symptoms consistent with COVID-19, you may still enter Canada by land, rail or sea. If you have arrived in Windsor under these conditions, you must isolate without delay for a minimum of 14 days. This is mandatory.

For full information, review the Government of Canada Coronavirus website. It outlines the arrival process, the mandatory quarantine/isolation requirements as well as compliance enforcement.

If you have or develop cold- or flu-like symptoms during your mandatory isolation or quarantine period, contact Telehealth Ontario at 1-866-797-0000 or the Windsor-Essex County Health Unit at 519-258-2146 ext. 1420 for direction. Registered UWindsor students can also contact Student Health Services.   

International Students Related

Does GSC OHIP Equivalent cover COVID-19 testing?

Students are encouraged to do a self-assessment regarding any symptoms of the COVID-19 virus. If you suspect that you have the COVID-19 virus, please visit your nearest assessment centre for possible testing of the COVID-19 virus; COVID-19 testing will be given to patients at the discretion of the hospital after they have been triaged. Please bring with you your GSC card and your valid Student ID. YES GSC OHIP Equivalent health coverage will cover the COVID-19 testing.

GSC OHIP Equivalent health coverage remains the same for all students covered, GSC OHIP Equivalent covers doctor’s fees in clinics and hospitals, as well as lab tests such as X-rays and blood tests.

More information regarding GSC OHIP Equivalent health coverage can be found on the ISC website and the Blackboard website.

If you do not have your GSC card, please email  with your student number.

Does GSC OHIP Equivalent cover the treatment of COVID-19?

Although there is no specific treatment for the COVID-19 virus, YES GSC OHIP Equivalent will cover emergency fees at hospitals and hospitalization fees, if needed.

Medication dispensed only during hospitalization is covered under GSC OHIP Equivalent.

Prescription medication, which you get from a pharmacy, is NOT covered under the GSC OHIP Equivalent health coverage. These are covered through your 2nd health plan, your supplemental health plan, your Drug & Dental Plan which is administered by your appropriate student group. For more information regarding your Drug & Dental health plan, visit the UWSA website (Full Time undergraduate students) or the GSS website (Full-Time graduate students) or the OPUS website (Part-Time students).

I have decided to stay in Canada, will I still be covered under the GSC OHIP Equivalent health plan? Who can I contact to get specific information regarding my GSC OHIP Equivalent coverage?

Your GSC OHIP Equivalent coverage remains the same as it was before the COVID-19 crisis. To check your GSC OHIP Equivalent status and to get your GSC#, or for any other GSC OHIP Equivalent inquiries, please email with your student number.

For more information regarding the GSC OHIP Equivalent health coverage can be found on the ISC website and the Blackboard website.

Will GSC OHIP Equivalent cover fees for testing and treatment of the COVID-19 virus outside of Canada?

NO GSC OHIP Equivalent will not cover fees for testing and treatment associated with the COVID-19 virus outside of Canada. It is highly recommended that you purchase an alternate health plan for the duration of your stay in another country.

Your Drug & Dental health plan, which is administered by your appropriate student group, may have a travel insurance allowance for students traveling outside of Canada.

For more information regarding your Drug & Dental health plan, visit the UWSA website (Full Time undergraduate students) or the GSS website (Full-Time graduate students) or the OPUS website (Part-Time students).

Can't Find Your Answer? Submit a Question