Jul 27th, 2021
While many people stayed in touch virtually with their closest friends through pandemic restrictions, casual friendships may have withered.
In a message sent Monday to UWindsor faculty and staff, Human Resources shares tips to help re-establish ties as COVID-19 wanes:
- Reach out. Relationships require effort; be proactive and reach out to those you have lost touch with to say “hi” and reconnect.
- Make plans. Plan to get together in person if you are comfortable based on public health guidelines. You may want to start with planning an outdoor activity.
- Consider the other person’s comfort level. Not everyone has the same risk tolerance; it is a good idea to ask the other person what their boundaries are before making plans.
- Respect personal physical space. You might be used to greeting a friend with a hug but hold off for now unless you clear it first with the other person.
- Don’t worry if you are out of practice. The pandemic has forced us to reduce social interactions. It is normal to feel awkward at first.