Advance your skills and recharge your career with the MSW for Working Professionals On-line Program
The program requirements are modeled after our full-time on-campus MSW program however you will be enrolled in exclusive sections of these courses that are limited to students in the MSW for Working Professionals Online Program. Students will take the prescribed courses sequentially. The schedule is rigorous but you will have time in between course weekends to complete assignments.
A set path for success
Our MSW for Working Professionals classes run online in Zoom Fridays from 3:30 p.m. to 9:00 p.m., and Saturdays from 8:30 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. You will attend class on alternating weekends (with some exceptions). The program is completed in a specific course sequence and you will attend with the same cohort.
For those entering the Regular Track with a four-year honours BA, you will complete the program in 32 months. Students entering with an honours BSW who are admitted to the Advanced Track will complete the program in 16 months.
Share ideas with other professionals
You will have an opportunity to share ideas, gain knowledge of best practices from other agencies and organizations, and learn from expert faculty who are not only top teaching talent but who are committed to civic engagement. After each class weekend, you will be able to transfer your new knowledge and skills back to your workplace, the results are immediate.
Our support system
Your focus needs to be on gaining new skills, developing a new set of tools to transfer to your career. Our support system makes us the liaison to all other departments within the University of Windsor. We offer step-by-step instructions to guide you through course registration and provide you with the necessary program information for you to hit the ground running.
Opening the most doors
Our experience has shown us that our students’ careers evolve, sometimes in ways they would have never imagined. Our Ecological Perspective model prepares you for opportunities at all levels of practice in a variety of social welfare settings while allowing you to focus your assignments in your area of interest.
Our graduates are eligible for membership in the Ontario Association of Social Workers, the Canadian Association of Social Workers and are eligible to apply for registration with the Ontario College of Social Workers and Social Service Workers.
The MSW for Working Professionals is based on the principles of the ecological perspective in social work practice (microsystem, mesosystem, exosystem, and macrosystem).
The objectives of the program are both consistent with the University of Windsor's School of Social Work mission and social justice statements and the current educational policies of the Canadian Association of Social Work Education (CASWE).
The primary objective of the program is to promote the development of practice skills and knowledge producing graduates who are able to assume leadership roles in the provision of direct and indirect practice with vulnerable populations. Additionally, this program is intended to prepare you to:
- Develop expertise in the use of social work knowledge, values, and skills with vulnerable populations;
- Incorporate greater depth of knowledge in the application of critical thinking skills;
- Understand and apply the theoretical basis of ecological systems perspective;
- Employ techniques which incorporate social justice, empowerment and cultural competency and which consider forms and mechanisms of oppression and discrimination;
- Advocate for social and economic change;
- Demonstrate differential use of self with individuals, families, groups, organizations, and communities;
- Evaluate intervention techniques and develop and implement research projects related to one’s own practice; and,
- Demonstrate leadership in direct practice and indirect practice, including community development; program development; policy creation, reform, and implementation; research development and implementation; and advocacy with all types of systems are emphasized.
- International Students: Applicants applying to the MSWwp Program will require proof of Canadian Citizenship or permanent residency as defined by the Immigration Act (Canada), or of eligibility for employment in Canada.