Important Information Regarding Changes to Service in Light of COVID-19
In order to minimize risk of COVID-19 transmission and in keeping with the University of Windsor's policies, the Writing Support Desk has moved all services to online only until further notice.
Our physical location in Leddy Library is currently closed.
Students seeking assistance with take-home exams must receive the express written permission of their instructor in advance of their appointment. See our FAQ page for more details.
Workshops will be available at their scheduled time via Blackboard Virtual Classroom (Inter/Summer Session workshops begin Tuesday, May 26. See the full schedule for details). Some workshops are also available as video tutorials on the WSD Blackboard page under Resources > Video Tutorials.
For up-to-date information regarding UWindsor's response to COVID-19, please visit the coronavirus update page.
For further information regarding how to access Writing Support Desk services online, please see the below drop-down menu or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Writing Support Desk staff is committed to providing the highest level of service to students while maintaining best practices for health and safety. We thank you for your patience and understanding.
To ensure the most efficient service, please take the following steps:
1. Email the Word (.doc or .docx) document you wish to work on to us in advance of your meeting, ideally an hour or more before.
2. Check your email shortly before your meeting starts for a Zoom meeting invite.
3. Copy the link that we forward to you and paste it into a new tab.
4. Select ‘Join Audio Conference by Computer.’ Though students do not need to create an account for this service, they do need to download an extension. To see how to join a meeting, watch the following minute-long YouTube video.
If you do not already have access to the Writing Support Desk's Blackboard page (under Organizations), please email us at least an hour before the workshop to request access.
Once you have Blackboard access, take the following steps:
1. Log into your Blackboard page, select 'Organizations', and select 'Writing Support.'
2. From the menu, select 'Virtual Lounge.'
3. Choose the workshop that you would like to attend, and join the room. Virtual classrooms will open 15-minutes before the scheduled start time.
4. You should then be able to see the workshop slides and hear the presenter.
About the Writing Support Desk
The Writing Support Desk is located on the main floor of Leddy Library and is a service that provides students with help regarding various aspects of their academic writing, including
interpreting assignment prompts
constructing strong theses and arguments
grammar, punctuation, and syntax problems
analyzing and integrating sources
citing and referencing
Students should note that the WSD is not a proofreading service. Though we will examine as much of a sample of writing as we can in the space of a one-on-one consultation, our goal is to teach students how to improve their writing, not to edit the work.
Students can email their work in advance of their appointments to email@example.com (.docx or .doc formats only please).
If you require accommodations for a disability, please contact the Writing Support Desk at firstname.lastname@example.org or 519.253.3000 ext. 3472.
Phone Number: 519-253-3000 (ext.3472)
Location: Leddy Library Main Floor