The Lancer men’s track and field team captured bragging rights at the Ontario University Athletics championship meet Saturday, winning its 23rd provincial title in 26 years.
The host squad racked up 174 points, 31 more than second-place Guelph, over two days of competition in the Dennis Fairall Fieldhouse. Guelph took the women’s team title; Windsor’s women finished fifth overall.
Lancer medallists included:
- Gold for Paul Janikowski in the men’s 3000m and two men’s relay teams—the 4 x 200m team of Jaiden Brown, Chris Kramer, Shavon Harding and Ildemaro Ponnambalam; and the 4 x 800m team of Taylor McArthur, Joe Kagumba, Nick MacMackin and Corey Bellemore.
- Gold for Eli Pawliw and silver for Brett Boersma in men’s shot put, and silver for Sarah Mitton in the women’s event.
- Silver for pole vaulter Rachael Wolfs and silver and bronze, respectively, on the men’s side for Chris Waugh and Milos Savic.
- Three additional silver medals for Bellemore: in the 600m and 1000m races, as well as anchoring 4 x 400m team with Kramer, Brown and Matt McLaughlin. Alex Ullman won the bronze in the 600 m.
- Silver and bronze for McArthur and Janikowski in the 1500m.
- Silver for long jumper Caitlin McClurkin, high jumper Branden Wilhelm, and Virginia McLachlan in the women’s 60m ambulatory.
- Bronze for the women’s 4 x 400m relay team of Mariah Wilson, Tichina Jones, Stephanie Shaw and Emily Omahen; Omahen also won bronze in long jump. Angelo Bortolin took home the bronze medal in the men’s long jump as did Stefanie Smith in the women’s 3000m.
Read more at goLancers.ca. The athletes will next see action in the Canadian Interuniversity Sport national tournament, March 10 to 12 at York University.