Natalie Delia Deckard, PhD
Office: CHS 156-2
Telephone: 519-253-3000 ext. 2186
Winter 2020 Office Hours
Monday 10:00am-11:00am; Tuesday 10:00am-12:00pm; Wednesday 10:00am-11:00am; Thursday 10:00am-12:00pm
Book appointment at www.calendly.com/natalie-deliadeckard
- 2016 Emory University, Atlanta, GA – Ph.D . in Sociology
- 2011 University of South Florida, Tampa, FL – M.A. in Sociology
- 2002 Columbia University, New York, NY – B.A. in Latin American Studies
Recent Courses Taught
- SACR-2600 Introduction to Criminology
- SACR-2900 Researching Social Life
- Delia Deckard, Natalie and Heslin, Alison. 2019. “Welfare State Policies and the Authority to Govern: The Case of Puerto Rico.” Sociological Focus.
- Galeano, José and Delia Deckard, Natalie. 2019. “The Feminization of Criminality: Double-Victimization in Neoliberal Paraguay.” Women and Criminal Justice.
- Holmes, Shelby S; Delia Deckard, Natalie. 2019. “Constructing the Rapist: Patterns of Reporting Sexual Violence to the Police.” Social Identities 25(5): 679–693.
- Heslin, Alison; Delia Deckard, Natalie; Montero-Colbert, Arianna S; Oaks, Robert. “Displacement and Resettlement: Understanding the Role of Climate Change in Contemporary Migration” in Loss and Damage from Climate Change. 2019. Editors: Mechler, Reinhard; Bouwer, Laurens M; Schinko, Thomas; Surminski, Swenja; Linnerooth-Bayer, JoAnne. New York: Springer.
- Montero-Colbert, Arianna S; Delia Deckard, Natalie; Richard, Sundi; Stewart, Bonnie; Nanan, Alexa S . 2019. “Learning Together in Public and Private: Exploring Learner Interactions and Engagement in a Blended MOOC Environment.” Current Issues in Emerging eLearning.
- Fitzpatrick, Michaella S; Delia Deckard Natalie. 2018. “The Common Sense Cut and the Gendered Body Project: Constructing Existing Norms around Circumcision in US Media.” Humanity and Society 42(3): 275-296.
- Dierker, Lisa; Robertson Evia, Jane; Singer-Freeman, Karen; Woods, Kristin; Zupkus, Janet; Arnholdt, Alan; Moliski, Elizabeth; Delia Deckard, Natalie; Gallagher,Kristel; Rose, Jennifer. 2018. “Project-Based Learning in Introductory Statistics: Comparing Course Experiences and Predicting Positive Outcomes for Students from Diverse Educational Settings.” International Journal of Educational Technology and Learning.
- Delia Deckard, Natalie and Pieri, Zacharias. 2017. “The Implications of Endemic Corruption for State Legitimacy in Developing Nations: An Empirical Exploration of the Nigerian Case.” International Journal of Politics, Culture, and Society 30(4): 369-384.
- Delia Deckard, Natalie. 2017. “Prison as the Site of Coerced Consumption: Considering the Value of Incarcerated Bodies in Late Capitalism.” Social Currents 4(1):3-12.
- Delia Deckard, Natalie. 2017. “Statistical Education for Undergraduate Sociology Majors: Survey Findings across Institutions.” Numeracy 10(2):8.
- Delia Deckard, Natalie. 2017. “Dena Samuels’s The Culturally Inclusive Educator.” Teaching Sociology 45(3): 303-304.
- Browne, Irene; Delia Deckard, Natalie; Rodriguez, Cassaundra. 2016. “Different Game, Different Frame? Black Counterdiscourses and Depictions of Immigration in Atlanta’s African-American and Mainstream Media.” The Sociological Quarterly 57(3): 520-543.
- Delia Deckard, Natalie and Heslin, Alison. 2016. “After Postnational Citizenship:Minority Inclusion and Belonging in Neoliberal Contexts.” Sociology Compass 10(4): 294-305.
- Phillips Anthony S; Delia Deckard, Natalie. 2016. “Felon Disenfranchisement Laws and the Feedback Loop of Political Exclusion: The Case of Florida.” The Journal of African-American Studies 20(1): 1-18.
- Delia Deckard, Natalie. 2016. “The Federal Housing Administration (FHA)” in People of Color in the United States: Contemporary Issues in Education, Work, Communities, Health, and Immigration . Editors: Lomotey, Kofi; Helvey, Felicia; Braboy Jackson, Pamela; Adem, Muna; Braboy Jackson, Pamela; Ruf, Paulina X; Carr Copeland, Valire; Huerta, Alvaro; Iglesias-Prieto, Norma V; Brown, and Donathan L. Santa Barbara, CA: ABC-CLIO.
- Delia Deckard, Natalie. 2016. “Allan Bluman’s Elementary Statistics.” Teaching Sociology 44(4) 296–308.
- Delia Deckard, Natalie. 2016. “Virginia Comolli’s Boko Haram: Nigeria’s Islamist Insurgency.” Journal of Modern African Studies 54(2): 345-347.
- Delia Deckard, Natalie; Browne, Irene. 2015. “Constructing Citizenship: Framing Unauthorized Immigrants in Market Terms.” Citizenship Studies 19(6-7): 664-681.
- Delia Deckard, Natalie and Jacobson, David. 2015. “The Prosperous Hardliner: Class, Religiosity and Radicalization in Western European Muslim Communities.” Social Compass. 62(3): 412-433.
- Delia Deckard, Natalie; Barkindo, Atta; Jacobson, David. 2015. "Religiosity and Rebellion in Nigeria: Considering Boko Haram within the Radical Tradition." Studies in Conflict and Terrorism 38(7): 510-528.
- Jacobson, David and Delia Deckard, Natalie. 2014. “Surveying the Political Landscape: Muslim Communities in the Multicultural United Kingdom and Assimilationist France.” Democracy & Security 10(2): 113-131.
- Jacobson, David and Delia Deckard, Natalie. 2012. “The Tribalism Index: Unlocking the Relationship."
- Jacobson, David; Olmsted, Maureen; Delia Deckard, Natalie; Woodward, Mark. 2012. “Survey of Muslims in Western Europe, West Africa, and Malaysia: Sample Characteristics.” Center for the Study of Religion and Conflict. Tempe, AZ