If a student informs you that they have COVID-19 or are at risk of having contracted it:
- Please contact your Dean and the COVID Case Response Team immediately for guidance about next steps.You can also reach the COVID Case Response Team at 519-253-3000 ext. 2055.
- Please do not distribute any information to others without guidance from your Dean as it is critical that we protect the privacy of individual health information, adhere to all applicable health guidelines, and undertake institutionally established and coordinated protocols efficiently. Communications will be handled centrally in coordination with your Dean.
YOUR first steps as an instructor:
- Make sure you have the student’s full name and updated contact information
- Determine whether the student has contacted their local health authority for medical support.
- If they have not: Advise the student to contact their local health authority if they have travelled outside of Canada, had contact with a recent traveller (returned in the last 14 days) or close contact with a confirmed or probable case of COVID-19. Otherwise, advise the student to contact their health care provider.
- If they have: Record the name of the health authority helping the student and the date of disclosure.
- Explain to the student that you will communicate about the situation with the Dean and the COVID Case Response Team on campus, and that this team will follow up directly. Students can expect questions about their campus activities, how long they have had symptoms, and the parts of campus they recently visited.
- Email the contact information and health authority contact information you have collected to your Dean and the COVID Case Response Team. Please note that student employees whom you supervise fall under the regulations for employee COVID exposure, found here
- The Windsor Health Authority and/or the University’s COVID Case Response Team may be in touch with you with further questions or information about how to proceed. The COVID Case Response Team will confirm they have received your message.
- If you feel that you are at risk of having COVID, please contact your dean, health care provider or public health unit. Make a plan for any required academic accommodations related to quarantine or illness.
- Keep in mind that a requirement to be in quarantine is NOT the same thing as a confirmed case of COVID-19.
With the exception of students in the JD and Dual JD programs as well as students in clinical Nursing courses, where students should check with the Faculty for their protocols, students can use the Illness Self-Report form in UWinsite Student to seek academic accommodation for medical reasons, as they have done since May, and are not required to submit a medical note. This information will be transmitted regularly to AAUs. The self-report panel is being updated to include guidance regarding the reporting of COVID cases as opposed to requests for academic accommodations.