Scholarship of Teaching and Learning
- Graduate student Theresa Spanjers and Dr. Chitra Rangan present Physics lesson packs with a Focus On Reaching Curricular Expectations. These in-class kits will help 11th and 12th-grade science teachers to present modern physics topics such as quantum mechanics, special relativity and green energy to their classes. 2012.
- Improving problem-solving in upper-level electromagnetism using scaffolding, CLIF grant 2010, Centre for Teaching and Learning.
- Contributor, Merlot Elixr Academic Integrity Digital Case Story Project, 2009.
- Presenter, "Approaches to Plagiarism Education: A Panel Discussion", Centre for Teaching and Learning Workshop, University of Windsor, 2007.
- Presenter, '64-496: A multi-genre, collaborative course on technical communication for physicists', Engaging the 21st Century student: regional conference on teaching and learning, University of Windsor, 2006.
- Active learning methods in improving student learning outcomes (ongoing).
- Seminars and workshops offered through the Centre for Teaching and Learning.
- Completed a course "Online Education" in W10.
- Summer 2002 Obtained certification of ‘Michigan Teaching Fellow’ through the Preparing Future Faculty program, The University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI.
University of Windsor
64-203 Physics and Society: The Present (non-majors): W06, W07, W08, W1264-323 Electromagnetic Waves (3rd year physics students) (w/ lab): F05, F06, F07, F08, F09, F10, F11, F12
64-443 Quantum Optics and Spectroscopy (4th year physics majors) S05
64-496 Technical Communication Skills (4th year physics students) (w/ lab) W05, W06, W07, W09, W10, S10
64-520 Graduate Classical Electrodynamics: W13
64-550 Graduate Quantum Mechanics I: F06, F07, F08, F09, F10, F11, F12
64-542 Atomic and Molecular Processes I – Quantum Control (advanced graduate course taught in collaboration with Dr. Phil Bucksbaum at the University of Michigan via videoconference) F06
64-543 Atomic & Molecular Processes II - Quantum Optics & Quantum Computing (advanced graduate course) W05, W08.
64-563 Advanced Reactor Physics (graduate course) : W10
University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI.
PHY 140 General Physics II: S03
Louisiana State University, Baton Rouge, LA.
1994-2000 GA for Introductory Physics Lectures and Laboratories
Curriculum Vitae (Abbreviated)
2004 - present, Faculty member, Department of Physics, University of Windsor
- Professor (2018 - present)
- Head of Department (2012-2015)
- Associate Professor (2009-2018)
- Assistant Professor (2004-2009)
- Cross-appointed to Department of Chemistry and Biochemistry (2008-2011)
- Visiting Assistant/Associate Professor, Department of Physics, The University of Michigan (2006)
2000-2004 Postdoc, FOCUS Center, The University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI. Mentor: Phil Bucksbaum
1994-2000 Ph. D. (Physics), Louisiana State University, Baton Rouge, LA. Advisors: Ravi Rau & Ken Schafer
1991-1993 M. Sc. (Physics), Indian Institute of Technology, Madras. India. Advisors: M.V. Satyanarayana and B.M. Sivaram
1988-1991 B. Sc. (Physics), First Class, University of Madras, Madras. India. (Meenakshi College for Women)
- 2015 CAP Medal for Excellence in Teaching Physics
- UWindsor Award for Excellence in Research, Scholarship and Creative Activity (Emerging Scholars / Researchers Category) 2010
- Dean's Special Recognition for organizing Science Rendezvous 2010
- Dean's Special Recognition Award in recognition of excellence in research scholarship and creative activity 2008
- Dean's Special Recognition Award in recognition of excellence in research scholarship and creative activity 2007
- Faculty Performance Award, Faculty of Science, University of Windsor 'in recognition of her outstanding overall performance in the areas of research, teaching and service' 2007
- Certificate from the Dean of Science 'in recognition of her devotion to students in the Department of Physics and for her outstanding contribution to recruitment and to the advancement of the Department's programs', University of Windsor, 2006
- Certificate in recognition of 'research, scholarship and creative activity', University of Windsor 2006
- Research Fellowship, FOCUS, National Science Foundation Physics Frontiers Center, The University of Michigan. 2001-2003
- Charles E. Coates Distinguished Dissertation Award, Louisiana State University. 2000
- Merit Scholarship, Indian Institute of Technology, Madras, India. 1991-1993
- University Medals for French and English, University of Madras, India. 1991
- National Talent Search Scholarship, National Council for Educational Research and Training, New Delhi, India. 1986-1994
- Canadian Association of Physicists
- American Physical Society
- Ontario Association of Physics Teachers
- Association for Women in Science
- Chair, Division of AMO Physics, Canadian Association of Physicists (204-2015)
- Chair, CAP Committee for International Year of Light 2015
- Guest Editor, Special Year of Light issue of Physics in Canada
- University of Windsor Teaching Leadership Chair (2014-2017)
- International Program Committee and Local Organizing Committee, PSAS 2008, International Conference on the Precision Spectroscopy of Simple Atomic Systems, University of Windsor, July 21-26, 2008
- Co-chair, Workshop on Building Computational Devices using Coherent Control, The University of Michigan, June 7-9, 2004
- Organizing Committee Member, Workshop on Perspectives in Decoherence Control and Quantum Computing, The University of Michigan, August 21-28, 2002
- Invited participant, NSF-DOE-NIH Workshop on Opportunities in Terahertz Science, Washington, DC, February 12-14, 2004
- Commission on Quantum Electronics C17, International Union of Pure and Applied Physics (Member 2005-2008, Secretary 2008-2011)
- Regional Councilor (Southwestern Ontario), Council of Canadian Association of Physicists, (2006-2010)
- Member, DAMOP Thesis Prize Selection Committee, American Physical Society (2011 - 2013)
- Judge, Student Oral Presentation Competition, Canadian Association of Physicists' Congress, University of Toronto, June 2010
- Reviewer, Physical Review Letters, Physical Review A, Journal of Modern Optics, Journal of Chemical Physics, Canadian Journal of Physics, NSERC, 2001 - present
- Reviewer for grants: NSERC Strategic grant, NSERC Discovery grants, NSF Single investigator grants, US Department of Energy grants, 2005 - present