The creation of a safe pedestrian esplanade on Sunset Avenue between Fanchette and Wyandotte streets is among the highlights of a Campus Transformation Plan to be discussed at a public open house event on Wednesday, September 19, from 4 to 7 p.m. in the CAW Centre’s Ambassador Auditorium.
The plan involves improvements already underway and proposed projects through 2015.
It includes the proposed closure to vehicular traffic of Sunset Avenue from Fanchette to Wyandotte streets in 2013, and the development of an attractive walkway to support a pedestrian-friendly environment. Additional safety measures will include the installation of a crosswalk traffic light at the corner of Sunset and Wyandotte and a four-way traffic light to be added to the intersection of California and Wyandotte.
University of Windsor president Alan Wildeman will be joined by City of Windsor representatives at the September 19 event. He will introduce campus neighbours and other interested members of the community to the University’s long-term plans to modernize the campus and prepare it to meet the needs of students for the next 50 years. Members of the media, students, faculty and staff are welcome to attend.
“An important factor in accomplishing the University’s strategic goals is the availability of modern and inspiring infrastructure,” says Dr. Wildeman. “We must continue to upgrade the campus to support the kind of experience we want our students to have and to help our faculty and staff to be their most productive and efficient. These improvements will enhance the competitive position of UWindsor within the post secondary system, and strengthen our engagement with the community. The campus experience should be one that people enjoy, and the spaces we are creating will help that happen.”
Phase I campus improvements currently in the works through 2015 include:
- Completion of the Ed Lumley Centre for Engineering Innovation—Fall 2012
- Completion of space renovation to house the International Student Centre—Spring 2012
- Completion of the third floor space in the Medical Education Building—Summer 2012
- Completed demolition of the former Cody Hall residence and former drama building—Summer 2012
- Creation of the Student Centre Courtyard outside Dillon and Memorial halls—Fall 2012
- Streetscaping along Wyandotte from Sunset to Campbell, featuring new walkways, planters holding low perennials and shade trees, benches, bicycle racks and trash receptacles—Fall 2012
- Demolition of four former residential buildings located along the Fanchette to Wyandotte pedestrian esplanade—Spring 2013
- Renovations to the Odette School of Business—Fall 2013
- Construction of an Innovation Centre and parking facility. This parking structure will offer visitor parking, allowing the current surface lot located at the corner of Wyandotte and Sunset to be developed into green space—Fall 2013
- Developing plans to determine the future of the parking lots situated parallel to California between Fanchette and Wyandotte—ongoing
- Construction of a Welcome Centre—Fall 2013
- The transformation of downtown Windsor’s Armouries building, the former Windsor Star building, and the former Greyhound bus depot into classroom and office space for the University’s music, visual arts and film production programs; the School of Social Work; and the Centre for Executive Education—Fall 2014