Today marks the deadline for registration for “Between the (Head)lines,” a student journalism conference hosted by the UWindsor student newspaper, the Lance, March 29 to 31.
Conference highlights include a film screening at Walkerville Brewery and a downtown Detroit media/cultural tour. Delegates will be treated to a live performance Saturday night by alt. country rockers and Polaris and Juno award nominees Elliott Brood at the Capitol Theatre.
Windsor born, Toronto-based journalist Shawn Micallef will deliver a keynote address. Micallef is the author of Stroll: Psychogeographic Walking Tours of Toronto, a senior editor and co-owner of the independent Jane Jacobs Prize-winning magazine Spacing and a columnist for the Toronto Star.
Other speakers include:
- Steve Dorsey, vice-president of research and development for the Detroit Media Partnership and former managing editor of the Detroit Free Press;
- Marty Gervais, journalist, UWindsor professor and Windsor’s poet laureate;
- Blake Roberts, UWindsor professor and former CBC reporter;
- Sonya Bell, Windsor-based journalist who has reported for Canadian Press, the Hill Times, Maclean’s magazine and iPolitics; and
- Veronique Mandal, head of the journalism program at St. Clair College and a former print and broadcast reporter.