Dec 7th, 2021
Experts call it the golden rule of joint health: the more you move, the less stiff you’ll be.
In a message sent Monday to UWindsor faculty and staff, Human Resources shares tips to help keep your joints in top shape, whether you’re suffering from sore joints or just looking for ways to stay avoid them.
- Keep moving. Movement eases joint stiffness, reduces joint pain, strengthens the muscles which surround the joints, and help maintain a healthy weight.
- Try range-of-motion exercises. Routinely put each joint through its full range of motion to improve flexibility, relieve stiffness and pain, and help keep joints functional.
- Protect your joints. Avoid activities that stress joints or increase pain, pay attention to proper body mechanics, and balance activity and rest.
- Eat an anti-inflammatory diet. Introduce more fruits, vegetables, beans, and legumes into your diet, along with healthy fats.
- Prioritize vitamin D and calcium. You can boost vitamin D by spending more time in sunlight and by eating salmon, sardines, and egg yolks. Calcium is found in foods such as dairy and green leafy vegetables.