Instructions for Changing Your Degree Designation

On February 10, 2010, Senate approved a change in the name of the University of Windsor law degree from a Bachelor of Laws (LLB) to a Juris Doctor (JD).

The change in degree designation from an LLB to a JD is a change in title only. The entrance and degree requirements remain unchanged. A Windsor Law JD will continue to be a second-entry, undergraduate professional degree program. This JD will not be recognized by the American Bar Association (ABA).

If you wish to change your degree designation from LLB to JD, you must concede your LLB degree. To do so, simply download and complete the Request for JD Degree Replacement and send it by mail, together with your original LLB degree to:
Office of the Registrar, c/o Shari Turcotte
University of Windsor
401 Sunset Avenue
Windsor, ON  N9B 3P4

To ensure the security of your degree, we recommend that you send your original degree via registered mail.

Processing fees are listed below. Your new JD degree will be couriered to you and will require a signature upon delivery. $75 for degree processing and Canadian shipping $110 for degree processing and international shipping Payment options: online banking (payee: University of Windsor, account #: 9-digit student ID #) cheque or money order (payable to the University of Windsor, Faculty of Law) We will endeavour to process your request for degree replacement within Canada in a period of 60 days and outside of Canada within 90 days.

If you have lost or misplaced your LLB degree, please complete the Statutory Declaration to reflect the loss or destruction of your degree. Please note that the Statutory Declaration must be signed and stamped by a Notary Public to be considered valid.

If you have any questions about the change in degree designation or the process to replace your degree, please contact: Shari Turcotte, Office of the Registrar (519) 253-3000 Ext: 3333