5-year Concurrent Bachelor of Music in Music Education (Honours) and Bachelor of Education program
The University of Windsor School of Creative Arts and the University of Windsor Faculty of Education offer a five-year concurrent Bachelor of Music in Music Education (Honours) and a Bachelor of Education program. Students accepted into the program will receive both a Bachelor of Music – Music Education (Honours) and a Bachelor of Education degree in five years and be certified to teach in Ontario.
Advantages of this program:
- A five year program (as opposed to six) in which students are accepted into BOTH the Bachelor Music-Music Education (Honours) and the Bachelor of Education as entering first year students. Students graduate with both Bachelor of Music-Music Education and the Bachelor of Education degrees.
- Students will be certified to teach in all Ontario public school boards, as well as an option to teach in Ontario Catholic school boards.
- Students will have the option to study in either the traditional Western classical music stream or in the jazz/popular music stream.
- Students receive the same high standard and amount of private studio experience as BMus in performance students.
- Students spend their first two years solely at the School of Creative Arts taking core music courses (lessons, ensembles, theory, history) and music education courses.
- Students spend their third year taking their Faculty of Education courses (supplemented with ensembles and lessons in Music)
- Fourth year students take their remaining courses in Music and optional second teachable courses
- Fifth year students complete the Practicum through the Faculty of Education
This program is unique to Ontario Universities, in that students complete two degrees in five years and can choose to study in the Western classical degree stream or the jazz/pop music stream.
Are you passionate about making music? This is the place. You have the option of taking private studio lessons on your instrument in either the traditional Western classical music stream or in the jazz/popular music stream. You have the opportunity to play in a variety of ensembles for credit including: University Singers, Wind Ensemble, Jazz Ensemble, Percussion Ensemble, Chamber Choir, Jazz Combo and New Music Workshop.
The University of Windsor’s Music program presents more than 130 concerts, recitals, master classes and workshops each year. Our concerts feature faculty and guests in concert at acoustically excellent, intimate venues. Ensemble and Special Concerts feature performances by our student ensembles and soloists at excellent venues on campus and off. Our SoCA Fridays series offers free performances and musical presentations by our faculty, special guests and students in the school’s intimate Recital Hall.
- 75% minimum admission average. The OSS Diploma and six Grade 12 U or M courses, including ENG4U, are required.
- In addition to applying for academic admission to the University of Windsor, students interested in pursuing a Bachelor of Music degree must also apply for admission to the School of Creative Arts - MUSIC. This admission is based on an Audition.