2SLGBTQIA+ Supports

Emotional Support

Counselling Services at UWindsor:

As a student at UWindsor, you can access counselling at our Student Counselling Centre. They offer individual counselling, wellness groups, and drop-in support, including a 2SLGBTQIA+ Drop-in Group.

You can also find a list of on and off campus resources here.

Crisis Lines for 2SLGBTQIA+ Folks:

If you need support, you can reach out to the LGBT Youthline. Youth Line offers confidential and non-judgmental peer support through the phone, text, and chat services. Get in touch with a peer support volunteer from Sunday to Friday via phone (1-800-268-9688 from 6-9pm), text (647-694-4275 from 4-9:30pm) or chat (via their website, from 4-9:30pm)

You can also access support though the Trans Lifeline. Trans Lifeline’s Hotline is a peer support phone service run by trans people for our trans and questioning peers. Call us if you need someone trans to talk to, even if you’re not in crisis or if you’re not sure you’re trans. Canadians can access support via phone at (877) 330-6366. The Hotline is open 24/7, but operating at reduced capacity. 

Emotional Support in Windsor-Essex

Local to Windsor-Essex, Trans Wellness Ontario also has a variety of support available. They offer individual counselling and peer mentorship, as well as a variety of support groups. 

Support for Unwanted Sexual Experiences

Support at UWindsor:

If you are in need of support but aren't sure what you should do or where you should go for help, you can start by speaking to Dusty or Anne at the Office of Sexual Violence Prevention, Resistance, and Support (PRS). Dusty and Anne are here to listen. What happens next is up to you. Please know that you can seek their support without any obligation to formally report. You can also seek support regardless of when the assault occurred -- whether it was recently or a long time ago, you still deserve to be listened to.

PRS can also help connect you with counselling and medical services, as well as other campus and community resources. They can provide information about your reporting options, both to the University and the police. If you choose to file a formal complaint, they can support you in that process. They can help arrange academic and workplace accommodations, and help you with safety planning.

Contact Dusty and Anne at svsupport@uwindsor.ca or reach out via our confidential contact form.

For more sexual violence support options, visit this Resource page.

Housing, Clothing, and Food Insecurity

If you are a student at UWindsor looking for housing support, you may start by reaching out to the Prevent, Resist, Support team. 

Trans Wellness Ontario provides housing support. Learn more at: https://www.transwellness.ca/housing-outreach-support

Hiatus House provides crisis support and shelter for women and children in Windsor and area who are fleeing violence and abuse. They are available 24/7 at: (519) 252-7781

The Welcome Center Shelter for Women and Families provides emergency shelter and housing support. You can contact them at 519-971-7595

Men looking for shelter and housing can contact the Salvation Army at 519-253-7473.


If you are looking for gender-affirming clothing, you can reach out to the Trans Wellness Ontario Clothing Cupboard

Food Bank Services:

The UWSA operates the Campus Food Pantry available for students with a valid UWinID card.

Trans Wellness Ontario operates a food bank. Learn more at: https://www.transwellness.ca/food-bank

Safer Sex Resources

There are lots of options for safer sex supplies.

You can purchase condoms and lubricant at most drug stores. You can usually find latex and non-latex condoms easily. If you are using condoms, you want to make sure you are using a water-based or silicone lubricant (rather than an oil-based lubricant, which can deteriorate condoms).

Dental dams are harder to find. You can purchase them online, at some specialty stores, or you can make a dental dam by cutting open any regular condom. 

Internal condoms are also harder to find. You can purchase these online, but they are often costly.

Safer Sex Supplies at UWindsor:

To learn more about safer sex, check out our workshops through the Prevent Resist Support page, or contact Anne at arudzins@uwindsor.ca

Safer Sex Supplies in Windsor-Essex:

Pozitive Pathways also offers lots of safer sex resources. They offer information on PEP & PrEP for HIV at: https://www.pozitivepathways.com/pep-prep/

Support for Substance Use and Addiction Recovery

Lancers Recover is a group on campus providing an intentional and recovery-affirming space for students to seek assistance and support.