Mission & Vision
Accounts Payable Department strives to support the mission of the University of Windsor by managing the effective and efficient procurement of quality products and services at the best value from reputable vendors. We will achieve this through outstanding customer service, first-rate supply chain management, and ongoing streamlining of processes, while at all times maintaining unyielding integrity and adherence to University of Windsor Policies and Procedures, all Federal and Provincial regulations and all professional ethics and standards.
Authorized Approvers of Payment are responsible for:
- Checking if expense is valid charge against cost centre
- Confirming that goods or services have been received
- Verifying that goods or services have not been previously paid
- Ensuring that request for payment is accurate
- Assigning the appropriate account number
- Providing proper signature
Accounts Payable is responsible for:
- Confirming invoice against a University purchase order
- Verifying whether expense is within University Policy guidelines (i.e. Travel Policy)
- Confirming that person approving payment has appropriate signing authority
- Ensuring timely payment of cheque requisitions and invoices
- Verifying if charge is appropriate for noted object and sub-object account numbers
- Auditing additions and extensions
Accounts Payable will process payments as follows:
- Cheque requisitions
- Run every Wednesday. These cheque requisitions must be submitted by 4:30pm on the preceding Friday
- Must have all original receipts attached
- Vendor invoices payments
- Run every Wednesday. In order for vendor invoices to be paid, they must be received by the preceding Tuesday at 12:00pm
- Must be an original invoice.
- Payment Terms per University Policy are net 30 days from date of invoice
- Wire Transfer Payments
- Wire transfer payment can be used for many different types of vouchers, however these require a separate process from payments by cheque or electronic fund transfer. In order to process a wire transfer payment, end users must complete and submit a Wire Request Form to Accounts Payable for further processing.
- Cheque Pickups in Accounts Payable
- Cheques for Employee expense reimbursements and Vendor payments may only be picked up in the Finance Department, Room 405, Chrysler Hall Tower, between the hours of 1:00pm to 3:00pm on Friday afternoons. These cheques will be available for pickup in Room 405 of Chrysler Hall Tower.
Travel Entertainment Expenses
The University has instituted a Travel Policy and an Entertainment Policy. These policies establish requirements for the reimbursement of travel & entertainment related business expenditures incurred by University employees in connection with the performance of their respective duties unless the terms for which they are appointed provides that different rules and/or policies apply.
Key Responsibilities for the Traveller
- Ensuring claim is accurate, conforms with Policy and that all expenditures are supported by original detailed receipts
- Proper completion of a Travel Expense Form
- Proper completion of a Lost Receipt Form where a receipt is not attached
- Obtaining approval from appropriate signing authority
- Timely submission to Accounts Payable
Key Responsibilities for the Authorized Approving Officer
- Duty to accurately review expense reports and appropriate supporting documentation (i.e. original receipts) for compliance
- Ensuring funding is available to cover expenses
Key Responsibilities for the AP Staff
- Maintaining administrative process relating to travel
- Processing requests in a timely fashion
- Ensuring claims are in compliance with Policy
A full policy has been prepared and is currently awaiting approval by the Board of Governors. For reference purposes, below is an excerpt from this policy to guide you when determining what expenses may not be considered acceptable for claiming against your University accounts.
- Entertainment Expenses are not to be charged to the University unless they are incurred in the bona fide entertainment of University visitors. Luncheons, breakfasts, dinners, parties, receptions, etc., primarily for your own faculty or staff members, are not proper charges against University funds.
- Gifts, memorials and donations are personal expenses and are not to be charged against University funds. The Human Resources Department sends flowers on the occasion of a death in the immediate family of any staff member, thus other floral tributes by individual Faculties, Schools, or Departments must be paid for by the donors.
Any further questions regarding non-allowable expenses should be directed to the Finance Department.
Direct Deposit (EFT) Program
Employees and vendors requesting payments in Canadian funds should enroll in a Direct Deposit program. These payments are automatically and securely deposited into a designated bank account, with an automated e-mail remittance advice sent to the specified e-mail account as confirmation of payment being deposited. Employees and Vendors are strongly encouraged to take advantage of the University’s Direct Deposit Program, as it allows for more efficient processing of payments.
Direct Deposit (EFT) Program – Employees
- All eligible Canadian expense reimbursements for University of Windsor employees will be sent via Direct Deposit to the same bank account used for the employee’s payroll.
- An automated e-mail remittance advice will be sent to the employee’s UWindsor e-mail account as confirmation of payment.
- If an employee wishes to have future reimbursement payments deposited to a different bank account other than the one that has been specified for payroll, the employee is required to complete an EFT Application Form - Employee (PDF file) indicating “Change of Information” with updated bank account information.
Direct Deposit (EFT) Program – Vendors
Canadian vendors are strongly encouraged to enroll in this program, as it will allow payments to be directly deposited into a specified Canadian bank account. This will help to eliminate handling delays associated with cheques and will further reduce the opportunity for payment misrouting, theft and forgery. Additionally, an automated detailed e-mail remittance advice will be sent to an e-mail account specified by the vendor as confirmation of payment being deposited. EFT Application Form - Vendors (PDF file)
Senior Accounts Payable Clerk
Phone: (519) 253-3000 ext 2120
Cheque Requisitions, Travel Advances, Expense Reimbursements related to Operating Accounts, Special Payments, and Wire Transfers.
Accounts Payable Clerk
Phone: (519) 253-3000 ext 2123
Bookstore, Courier, Food Services, Law Library, Leddy Library, Utility Invoices, Cable/Phone Invoices, Cheque Requisitions, Travel and Expense Reimbursements related to Research Grant Accounts
Accounts Payable Clerk
Phone: (519) 253-3000 ext 2122
Purchase Order Suppliers, Regular Vendors (Canadian and US)