MFA combines two or more independent credentials or "factors" - typically what you know (e.g. your password) paired with something you have (e.g. your mobile phone) - to create a second layer of security for your UWin Account. The secondary authentication will only be required when accessing MFA protected services and apps from a non-trusted location (off-campus networks).
Configuring authentication options for MFA
It is required that UWin Account holders set up their authentication options before MFA is enabled on their account. To do so:
- Navigate to myprofile.microsoft.com in a web browser and sign in with your UWinID@uwindsor.ca and UWin Account password.
- In the Security info box, click the UPDATE INFO link.
- Click the + Add method button to add an authentication method
- Authentication methods include: Phone – text or call and Microsoft Authenticator App – verification code or notification.
- While there are different authentication options, one of them will be designated as the default method. This can be changed at any time.
- You can return to the Security info screen at any time to change or delete an authentication method.
For more detailed information about authentication option setup, please see this knowledge base article. Alternatively, visit the IT Service Desk in the lower level of the University Computer Centre (UCC) during University business hours.
Please note that once MFA is fully rolled out at UWindsor, secondary authentication will be mandatory. Access to UWindsor’s networks from off-campus locations will be denied without it.
Protect your accounts
With these authentication changes, it is critically important that you lock, sign out or shut down your device when it is not in use. Failing to do so could expose your accounts to others. This is particularly crucial on public or shared computers such as in classrooms or computer labs.