Tuesday, May 5th, marked Giving Tuesday Now: a global day of giving and unity which was planned as an emergency response to the unprecedented need caused by COVID-19.
A generous $20,000 pledge from Bernarda Camello-Doctor was matched through the course of the day by the support of many throughout our UWindsor community of alumni, faculty, staff and retirees. Thank you for joining the movement and supporting our students!
As part of the day, the Alumni Association hosted a live broadcast discussing the day of giving. If you were not able to watch the broadcast, you can see it again here.
Donations can still be made to one of these pressing needs for our students:
Student Relief Fund
At the University of Windsor, many of our students will continue to face financial challenges for the foreseeable future as a result of the pandemic. They are dealing with the uncertainty of summer employment and internships, a reduction or loss of part-time work and many are experiencing financial hardships as family members also deal with job loss. Donations to the Relief Fund go directly to students to help with their day-to-day expenses.
Campus Food Pantry
Right now, over 100 meals per week are being served by our campus food bank as they struggle to cope with the demand caused by the pandemic. Hot meals are served twice a week. Many students are unable to find affordable food, including a number of international students who are not able to return home. The need for financial support is higher than usual right now as food donations from individuals can’t be accepted because of health concerns.
COVID-19 Student Research
Many talented UWindsor students are not able to work summer jobs as a result of the pandemic. At the same time, UWindsor researchers have been working hard to address the public health challenges caused by the COVID-19 outbreak. Your support can enable our researchers to hire qualified students to accelerate the important research happening in labs across our campus, while providing invaluable and timely learning opportunities.
1. What type of expenses will the University of Windsor Student Relief Fund support?
- Students can apply for financial support for those areas of needs that have been impacted as a result of the pandemic. Some of these include medical/health, travel, living expenses, work complications, wellness resources and other.
2. When donations are made to this fund, will donors receipt a tax receipt?
- Yes. Any donations to the fund are defined as charitable and will be issued a tax receipt from the University of Windsor.
3. What is the easiest way for a donor to give a gift to the Student Relief Fund?
- The easiest way is to make an online donation at https://my.uwindsor.ca/web/uw/donations?e&epDesgOther=Student%20Relief%20Fund#
4. Will this fund support both domestic and international students in need?
5. I would like my gift to remain anonymous. How do I do this?
- When making a gift online please chose the option “I wish to remain anonymous” and your name will not be publicly revealed.
- If sending a donation in by cheque, please make this note in the memo portion of your cheque.
6. How do students qualify to receive support from this fund?
- Students can access information about this fund on the Student Awards and Financial Aid web site http://www.uwindsor.ca/studentawards/415/covid-19-updates
7. What other funding is available for students in need as a result of the pandemic?
- There are funds being offered through the federal government. Students can access this information at: https://www.canada.ca/en/department-finance/economic-response-plan.html
8.How long does it take to receive funding?
- Requests for funding to the University of Windsor are reviewed by a committee and generally available within 2 weeks of application.
9. I have more questions and I am a student.
- For more information, students can visit http://www.uwindsor.ca/studentawards/418/emergency-bursary-funding.
10. I have more questions and I am a donor or prospective donor.
- For more information on giving a donation please contact email@example.com and your inquiry will be answered immediately.