Coming to campus? Visit this page for important information.

Research Involving Animals

The University of Windsor’s Animal Care Committee (ACC) oversees all matters pertaining to research, funded or not, that involves animals.

The University of Windsor’s Animal Care Committee has been set up according to the Terms of Reference for Animal Care Committees established by the Canadian Council on Animal Care (CCAC). The ACC is subject to regular peer review by the CCAC, which involves assessments of the effectiveness of the ACC and the appropriateness of its animal care facilities, practices, and procedures. These assessments are based on CCAC guidelines and policies, which are available on the CCAC website.

All research and teaching that involves the use of vertebrate animals and cephalopods (octopus, squid) must have an Animal Utilization Project Proposal (AUPP) reviewed and approved by the ACC prior to the initiation of such research or instruction. No animals can be ordered or supplies purchased for work with animals prior to approval by the ACC.

It is important to note that the University of Windsor complies with Tri-Council Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) on the Roles and Responsibilities in the Management of Federal Grants and Awards as it relates to research involving vertebrate animals. Therefore, all investigators are strongly recommended to apply for ACC approval either prior to or immediately after receiving funding to ensure that all funds are released in a timely manner and to clearly communicate all sources of funding related to an AUPP to the Animal Care Coordinator.

The necessary forms for conducting research involving animals can be found on our Forms web page.

To contact the ACC, refer to our Contact web page.

Contact the Animal Care Committee

If you have any questions or require further information, please do not hesitate to contact us.

Animal Care Committee
Chrysler Hall North
Room 2138
519-253-3000 ext. 3741