Chemical Stock Room

The Chemical Stock Room is responsible for ordering, receiving and returning all chemicals and hazardous material used on campus.  You may also purchase commonly used laboratory supplies, solvents and reagents for use in your laboratory research.

Researchers should be aware that many materials used in research today are regulated by various legislation and agencies including but not limited to: the Public Health Agency of Canada, Canadian Food Inspection Agency, Ministry of the Environment, the Government of Canada, the Province of Ontario, the Canadian Nuclear Safety Commission, Foreign Affairs Canada, and the University of Windsor.

Researchers who are planning to work with or transfer any materials in the categories listed below must contact the Chemical Control Centre to ensure the materials have the proper regulatory documentation and approval.  If you are unsure if your materials are regulated, contact the CCC at (519) 253-3000 ext. 3523 for more information.

  • Animals used for research
  • Biohazardous materials
  • Chemical weapons & precursor chemicals
  • Controlled goods
  • Controlled substances
  • Cyanides
  • Insects not native to Canada or imported
  • Lasers (Class 3B, 4)
  • Plants not native to Canada or imported
  • Radioactive materials
  • Toxic substances
  • Designated substances
  • Veterinary controlled products
  • X-ray equipment


Stock Items

Stock items can be order through email by sending a stock order form to

Stock Item Order Form 

Hazardous Material Orders

The Chemical Control Centre is the purchasing agent for the acquisition of all hazardous materials used on campus, including (Material Acquisition Overview (.pdf)):

  • Chemicals
  • Gases
  • Lab Supplies
  • Office Supplies
  • Radioisotopes
  • Biohazards
  • Controlled Substances
  • Controlled Goods


Chemicals are defined as an item which is controlled by a Material Safety Data Sheet or has been assigned a CAS Number.  

Compressed Liquids or Gases

Gas products can be acquired from multiple vendors.  the CCC does stock a variety of common gas products.  Cylinders/Dewars are delivered to pre-designated locations throughout campus by Facilities Services.  For pick-up and/or delivery, contact the CCC.

Radioactive Materials

Radioactive materials can only be acquired by individuals who hold a University of Windsor Radioisotope Permit.  Please contact the Radiation Safety Officer (RSO) at extension 3524 for more information.  All orders are subject to verification of regulatory compliance by the RSO.

Biohazardous Materials

Biohazardous materials, including cell cultures and all BSL-1/2 materials can only be acquired by individuals who hold a University of Windsor Biological Safety Certificate.  Please contact the Chemical Control Centre at extension 3523 for more information.

Controlled Substances

Controlled substances are items which are controlled by Health Canada under the Controlled Drugs and Substances Act.  To facilitate the acquisition of these items, researchers require a copy of a valid Scientific Exemption from the Evaluation and Authorization Division of Health Canada's Office of Controlled Substances.  

Placing an Order

Please visit the following pages for information on how to order chemicals and hazardous goods:

  1. Ordering Chemicals
  2. Ordering Controlled/Hazardous Goods

Contact the Chemical Control Centre

If you have any questions or require further information, please do not hesitate to contact us.

Chemical Control Centre
 B37 Essex Hall
Phone: (519) 253-3000 ext. 3523
Fax: (519) 973-7013