The Clean Combustion Engine Laboratory (CCEL), formerly known as the Clean Diesel Engine Laboratory (CDEL), is located at the Centre for Automotive Research and Education (CARE) at the University of Windsor.
Dr. Zheng, the founding director, a Canada Research Chair in Clean Diesel Technologies, established the Clean Combustion research group in 2003-2013, and a Senior NSERC/Ford Industry Research Chiar in Clean Combustion Engine Innovations since 2017. With more than $14 million in research support from the government, industry, and institutions, along with the collaboration of Dr. Reader and Dr. Ting of Mechanical Engineering, Dr. Chen fo Electrical and Compuer Engineering, and Dr. Henshaw and Dr. Xu of Civil and Environmental Engineering, the research team has engaged in many innovative research projects. The group specifically targets sustainable heat engine development in order to improve the engine combustion process and reduce pollutant emissions.
The group has engaged in 56 research projects in the past 16 years. Half of the research projects are supported by government agencies, such as Natural Sciences and Engineering Research Council of Canada (NSERC), Canada Foundation for Innovation (CFI), Ontario Research Funds, AUTO21 and BioFuelNet Canada. The other half are collaborated with industrial partners, such as Ford, Chysler, Navistar Inc., and Imperial Oil Ltd.
The state-of-the-art research facilities, developed and upgraded over the years for research and training students, have become one of the most advanced engine research labs, with features including:
- multiple engine test platforms, including a 300bar single-cylinder research engine
- adaptive combustion control research platform with RT-FPGA
- fuel strategy research platform with high precision fuel injection rate test benches
- intake and exhaust gas emission quantification & speciation research platform
- high pressure/temperature optical combustion chambers
- innovative high-power ignition and spray measurement systems
- active-flow control aftertreatment
- advanced engine and combustion diagnostic equipment
300 Bar Single-Cylinder Research Engine Platform
Engine Control Room