Coming to campus? Visit this page for important information.

Workplace Safety and Insurance Coverage While on Co-op Work Term

Note: The information below is for general informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. The University makes no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to the statements below.

Workplace Safety & Insurance (WSIB) is a no-fault accident insurance system for work-related injuries or illness. The Workplace Safety & Insurance Act covers many, but not all, workplaces in Ontario. As a student worker, you may receive benefits, providing your employer pays Workplace Safety & Insurance premiums.

Workplace Safety & Insurance coverage starts on the first day of your work term. As soon as you go on the payroll, your earnings are declared to the Workplace Safety & Insurance Board. Your employer pays all of the premiums.

If you are injured or become ill on the job, you will be paid 85% of your net average earnings, under current regulations. The maximum payment may change Medical aid costs are also covered.

If you are hired under contract by the University of Windsor, the University’s liability insurance and Workplace Safety & Insurance may cover you.

Should you be injured on the job, your employer must fill out a Form 7. By signing the form, you apply for Workplace Safety & Insurance Board benefits and authorize the release of your medical information. If there is a delay in reporting to the Workplace Safety & Insurance Board, the employer is penalized. It is imperative that you report workplace injuries to your employer immediately. If you claim benefits, inform your Co-op Coordinator as soon as possible.

Some of the industries that have been or are currently exempt from Ontario Workplace Safety and Insurance coverage are:

  • Banks, trusts and insurance companies
  • Private healthcare practices (like doctors and chiropractors)
  • Trade Unions
  • Private day care centres
  • Travel agencies
  • Clubs (like health clubs)
  • Photographers
  • Barbers, hair salons and shoe shine stands
  • Taxidermists
  • Funeral directing and embalming

These industries do not have to provide alternate coverage for their employees. However, without any coverage, an employee can sue the company if they are injured.

If you will be completing a work term outside of Ontario for an Ontario-based employer, you will be covered by WSIB for up to six months. If your work term extends beyond six months, you must apply to extend WSIB coverage (subject to WSIB approval).

If you will be completing a work term outside of Ontario for an employer not based in Ontario, it is your responsibility to determine whether or not there is a similar plan in the jurisdiction in which you will be working. Your employer can help you with this.

If you are being paid by an honorarium, stipend or scholarship, you may or may not be eligible for WSIB. Please visit a Co-op Coordinator during office hours to discuss your particular situation.

Please note that in some cases, it may be possible for the University of Windsor to arrange for some basic insurance coverage where WSIB is absent. Please visit a Co-op Coordinator during office hours if you would like to explore this possibility for an upcoming work term.