The Organization of Part-time University Students (OPUS) will host its 28th Annual Awards Banquet on Friday, March 20, in the student centre’s Alumni Auditorium at 6 p.m. with dinner to follow.
The event will recognize UWindsor faculty, staff, and alumni for “Going Above and Beyond”
- Senior Administrative Support Award: Jeff Berryman, associate vice-president academic;
- Friend of Students Award: Kaye Johnson, executive director of human rights, equity and accessibility;
- Teacher of the Year Award: Philip Ricciardi, psychology;
- Faculty Awards: Bruce Kotowich, School of Creative Arts; Rashid Rashidzadeh, engineering; John Albanese, criminology;
- Support Staff Awards: Kelly Dagenais, student awards and financial aid; Yvonne Arnowitz, Leddy Library; Diane Luu-Hoang, human rights, equity and accessibility;
- Staff/Faculty Leadership Award: Mohsan Beg, Student Counselling Centre;
- Disability Campus Community Recognition Award: Danny Castellan, Facility Services;
- Appreciation Awards: Campus Bookstore, Centre for Teaching and Learning;
- Student Leader Appreciation Awards: Grace Bastien, Anthony Meloche, Christie Nelson, Eric Sternberg.
The following part-time undergraduate students will be honoured:
- Volunteer of the Year Award: Sharmini Rampersaud;
- Alumni Association First Year Undergraduate Award: Crystal Desjardins;
- Alumni Association Academic Achievement Award: Laura Cutler;
- Dr. Kai Hildebrandt Part-time Student Award: Brenda Hanson;
- Dr. Susan Wendt Hildebrandt Part-time Student Award: Julienne Rousseau;
- Mary C. Schisler Award in Dramatic Art: Konrad Jarecki;
- Ken Long Memorial Award: Cody Vanderzwaag;
- Dr. Kathleen McCrone Award: Derrick Biso;
- VEK Ternoey Academic 2nd Chance Award: Nathan Pota;
- Wayne Girard Memorial Leadership Award: Omar Ahmed;
- Student with Disability Achievement Award: Andrea Ruys.
Ten OPUS members received bursaries based on financial need. Two of these bursaries are sponsored by the Alumni Association and three are sponsored by the Campus Dental Centre.