Flavours of banana and coconut pair with oatmeal to make a gluten-free breakfast or brunch dish, in a recipe by Paolo Vasapolli, executive chef in Food and Catering Services.
“Mixing the batter in a blender makes for easy preparation,” he says. “They’re good for a weekend, but easy enough make any day.”
Banana Oatmeal Blender Pancakes
- 2 ¼ cups rolled oats
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 2 large ripe bananas
- 1 tablespoon of honey or maple syrup
- 1 large egg
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- ½ ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 ½ teaspoon baking powder
- Coconut oil for frying
- Place all ingredients in the blender and blend on high until completely mixed and oats have broken down, about 1-2 minutes.
- Heat a griddle or pan over medium-low heat and melt a teaspoon or two of coconut oil. Once the pan or griddle is hot, pour or scoop on ¼ cup of the batter. Cook 2-3 minutes on each side.
Vasapolli recommends serving them garnished with sliced bananas, other fresh fruit, or icing sugar.
Find more recipes — as well as a place to submit your own — on the Healthy Eating website.