The School of Creative Arts will host the annual Ron W. Ianni Memorial Scholarship in Performance competition as an in-person event this year.
The competition will be held in the Performance Hall, located on the main floor of the SoCA Armouries, at noon Friday, March 25, as a special recital in the “SoCA Fridays” series. A campus audience is welcome, however, seating is limited.
Last year, music students recorded their performances and submitted them to the panel. The event was held virtually with participants introducing their performances and the audience watching it online.
Competitors are invited based on their grades in the December performance juries. The $500 annual award is open only to full-time students enrolled in a music degree program.
Students who have qualified to compete this year include:
- Colin Gronert, saxophone – instructor Jeff Price
- Sam Fedele, classical piano – instructor. Philip Adamson
- Meredith Garswood, classical voice – instructor Jennifer Swanson
- Carter Gaus, trombone – instructor Mike Stone
- Andrew Seguin, classical guitar – instructor Mike McNamara
- Stefanie Adams, violin – instructor Lillian Scheirich
- Madelyn Stein, jazz/pop voice – instructor Shahida Nurullah
- Bailey Deziel, clarinet – instructor Trevor Pittman
The scholarship was established by Mina Grossman-Ianni and the School of Music in 2005 to honour the late president of the University of Windsor, Ron Ianni.
Jurors assess the finalists, and the winner of the scholarship is announced at the conclusion of the concert.
While there is no admission fee, attendees must follow all UWindsor health and safety policies, including being vaccinated and wearing masks and completing the COVID self-assessment on the Safe Lancer app or at www.uwindsor.ca/returntocampus/339/self-assessment-questionnaire prior to visiting the SoCA Armouries.