Admission FAQs

What financial assistance is available to graduate students?
Full-time MASc and PhD graduate students are eligible for scholarships, Research Assistantship (RA) and Graduate Assistantship (GA) depending on their program and status.

What is a GA (Graduate Assistantship)?
A Graduate Assistantship is awarded to MASc and PhD students in return for their assistance in undergraduate courses.  Graduate Assistantship duties require an average of 10 hours per week.  Graduate students may apply for a Graduate Assistantship (GA) in the month before a new term (Fall, Winter or Summer), and are assigned by the Civil and Environmental Engineering Graduate Committee in accordance with the CUPE 4580 Collective Agreement (Articles 12 and 13).

What is an RA (Research Assistantship)?
A Research Assistantship (RA) is awarded to a MASc or PhD thesis based student by their research advisor.  The amount is dependent on research funds granted to the advisor.

What is the difference between MASc and MEng?
The Master of Applied Science (MASc) degree is a research-oriented degree.  The MASc can be earned by completing a thesis and a minimum of four graduate courses, or by completing a major paper and a minimum of eight graduate courses.

The Master of Engineering (MEng) degree is course-based. In order to graduate with an MEng degree, students must successfully complete eight graduate-level courses.

For more information about the MEng program, please contact
For MEng application information, please visit MEng Prog Application Procedures