Students in good standing who have not taken nursing courses for more than one semester but less than one year, and wish to return to nursing must complete a “Returning Nursing Student Form”. Students are required to submit this form prior to registering for any courses. The deadlines for submitting the Returning Nursing Student Form are April 15 (for return in Fall), September 15 (for return in Winter), or January 15 (for return in intersession/summer). Students are required to be proficient with clinical skills before returning into the clinical setting. Refer to the checklist below for a list of requirements.
Once this form is completed, please return it in person, by mail, scan/email or fax to:
Faculty of Nursing
Toldo Building, room 336
401 Sunset Avenue
Windsor, Ontario N9B 3P4
Fax: (519) 973-7084
Students wishing to return to the nursing program after an absence of more than one year may be re-admitted with special permission from the Faculty of Nursing, Dean’s Office. Each case will be assessed on an individual basis. To be considered for re-admission, students are required to complete a “Returning Student Application” form for the University of Windsor (instead of the Returning Nursing Student Form above). The form can be found through the "My Academics" tile on the UWinsite Student system. The Returning Student Application button can be found on the left-hand navigation menu. The student will then select “Create New Application” and follow the prompts. Once completed, this application is sent to the Faculty of Nursing to indicate the student’s desire to return to the Collaborative BScN program.
Students who are granted re-admission to the nursing program after a period of absence of more than one year are required to be proficient with clinical skills before returning to the clinical setting. They will also be required to demonstrate continued competency in specific nursing courses through any combination of OSCE and/or skill testing, challenge exams, and/or re-taking specified courses. Students will be charged a fee for this assessment. Students who are granted re-admission must also complete the Returning Nursing Student Form as described above. Refer to the checklist below for a list of requirements.
Please review the Faculty of Nursing Program Regulations.
Returning Student Checklist:
You will be required to complete the following:
- Complete and submit a Returning Nursing Student Form to the nursing office.
- Complete a Returning Student Application (if applicable). This application form can be found on the UWinsite Student system.
- Complete OSCE and/or skills testing, challenge exam, and/or re-take specified courses (if applicable). The nursing office will connect with those individuals to whom this applies.
- Complete clinical pre-clearance (Bayshore): Medical and Non-Medical Forms
- If additional clinical pre-clearance is required from the Faculty of Nursing, you may be required to complete and return a medical Fit for Practice certificate. The nursing office will connect those individuals to which this applies.
- Complete your registration. Please refer to your registration appointment time on your UWinsite Student account. You may be pre-registered in your clinical section. Please contact Andrea Reddam, Clinical Placement Coordinator (Andrea.Reddam@uwindsor.ca) prior to clinical registration.
- Complete the Southwestern Ontario Hospitals E-Learning Orientation (access via Blackboard once you are registered for your clinical course)
It is strongly recommended that you:
- Check your student account to ensure that all of your contact information is up to date and that your finances are in good standing.
- Contact the Student Success Coordinator, Fran Meloche (firstname.lastname@example.org), during this process to assist you with your academic planning.
- Contact the Clinical Lab Coordinator Lacey Rivest(519-253-3000 ext. 2282 or Lacey.Rivest@uwindsor.ca) two months prior to your return to clinical to make an appointment to update your clinical skills in the Nursing Lab and to receive your returning student skills checklist. You are required to be proficient with clinical skills before you return to the clinical setting.