Students in good standing who are not taking nursing courses for more than one semester and wish to return to nursing must complete and submit a “Returning Nursing Student Form” to the Faculty of Nursing, Main Nursing Office. Students are required to submit this form prior to registering for any courses. The deadlines for submitting the Returning Nursing Student Form are April 30 (for return in Fall), September 30 (for return in Winter), or January 30 (for return in intersession/summer). Students are expected to be proficient with clinical skills before returning into the clinical setting. Refer to the checklist below for a list of requirements.
Students wanting to return to the nursing program after an absence from nursing courses of more than one year may be re-admitted with special permission from the Faculty of Nursing, Dean’s Office. To be considered for re-admission, students are required to complete a “Returning Student Application” for the University of Windsor. Once completed, this application is sent to the Faculty of Nursing to indicate the student’s desire to return to the Collaborative BScN program. This form can be found under the “Academics” tab on the myUWindsor student account/portal. Each case will be assessed on an individual basis.
Students who are granted re-admission to the nursing program after a period of absence are expected to be proficient with clinical skills before returning to the clinical setting. They will also be required to demonstrate continued competency in specific nursing courses through any combination of OSCE and/or skill testing, challenge exams, and/or re-taking specified courses. Students will be charged a fee for this assessment. Students who are granted re-admission must also complete the Returning Nursing Student Form as described above. Refer to the checklist below for a list of requirements.
Please review the Faculty of Nursing Program Regulations.
Returning Student Checklist:
You will be required to complete the following:
- Complete and submit a Returning Student Form to the nursing office.
- Complete a Returning Student Application (if applicable). This application is accessible on your myUWindsor student account (https://my.uwindsor.ca/).
- Complete OSCE and/or skills testing, challenge exam, and/or re-take specified courses (if applicable). The nursing office will connect with those individuals to whom this applies.
- Complete clinical pre-clearance (Bayshore): Medical and Non-Medical Forms
- If additional clinical pre-clearance is required from the Faculty of Nursing, you may be required to complete and return a medical Fit for Practice certificate. The nursing office will connect with those individuals to which this applies.
- Complete your registration. Please refer to your registration appointment time on your myUWindsor student account/portal. You may be pre-registered in your clinical section. Please contact Natalie Bownes, Clinical Placement Coordinator (email@example.com) prior to clinical registration.
- Complete the Southwestern Ontario Hospitals E-Learning Orientation (access via Blackboard once you are registered for your clinical course)
It is strongly recommended that you:
- Check your student account to ensure that all of your contact information is up to date and that your finances are in good standing.
- Contact the Student Success Coordinator, Fran Meloche (firstname.lastname@example.org), during this process to assist you with your academic planning.
- Contact the Lab Manager, Mrs. Susan Dennison (519-253-3000 ext. 2282, or email@example.com) 2 months prior to your return to clinical to make an appointment to update your clinical skills in the Nursing Lab. You are expected to be proficient with clinical skills before you return to the clinical setting.