Jan 2022 Update
The Windsor University Retirees Association (WURA) Scholarship Award was established in the late 1990s by retired professors, librarians and administrators as our ongoing legacy and commitment to the education of current and future students.
In 2021-2022, this Scholarship now valued at $1800 was awarded to six deserving undergraduate students in a totally anonymous process by the WURA Scholarship Committee. The Committee particularly notes that our awards this year are increased by $300 and thanks all donors for their generous contributions. The Committee aims to increase the number of awards to 10 with a value of $2000 each. If you would like to continue or renew your support of students, you can donate on-line at https://src.uwindsor.ca/donations/donation. Please designate your gift to the Retirees' Scholarship Fund (under "Other").
The 2021/22 Award winners are:
- Trinity Bernier
- Angelo Ciardella
- Jaafar El-Abed
- Mohamad Elkorek
- Marketa Gabrhelova
- Shubham Sethi
The Scholarship Committee would like WURA members and others to know how significant these scholarships are to our Windsor students and how important it is to support them each year with our donations. Words of appreciation from this year’s winners include:
- Thank you so much for this award! I am very honoured to be one of the six scholarship winners. Not only does this help me financially, but it also motivates me to continue working my hardest to achieve my career goals.
- It's hard to put in words how much this truly means to me, and how much this will help me in the upcoming semester. The stress we students must deal with on an everyday basis is a lot to handle, and this award helps limit that stress, and make my day-to-day life easier.
- Receiving this award makes it a lot easier to focus more on my studies and less on the financial aspects of my life, which is all thanks to the Windsor University Retirees Association.
- I thank those in charge of selection for choosing me as a recipient of the Faculty Retirees award. Scholarships like these are meaningful to me, as they allow students to continue to pursue an education that they otherwise may struggle to afford. Personally, receiving this award means that I can comfortably pay for my winter semester and keep on learning.
- I hope to prove myself worthy of the Faculty Retirees award this semester by maintaining a high GPA.
- This award will help me fulfill my dream of becoming a CPA and help towards the cost for CPA modules. It inspires me and adds responsibility to do good and help others when I am successful. I am really thankful to all members of WURA.
- Since transitioning to the University this fall from St. Clair College, I have felt the warm welcome through and through from peers, professors, and staff. This generous contribution to financially assist me this year is another welcomed and much appreciated gesture.
- I cannot begin to express my gratitude in being selected for the very generous award. This will have a tremendous impact on my life over the next few months as I continue my nursing studies.
WURA Scholarship Committee
Barbara Thomas, Chair
How can you support a student?
Director, Student Awards and Financial Aid
Phone: (519) 253-3000, ext. 3300