Nicholas DeMaria Harney, PhD, MA, AB
Professor and Head of Department
Research and Teaching Areas
Nick’s research interests include the social anthropology of urban life, migration studies, and critical perspectives on global processes with a geographic focus on North America (Canada) and Europe (Italy). His first book by University of Toronto Press, Eh, Paesan!: Being Italian in Toronto was called 'the most nuanced analysis of identity available for contemporary populations of people of Italian origin anywhere in the world.” (Diaspora 7:2 1998, p. 273). Before his current appointment at Windsor, Nick taught at the University of Western Australia for over a decade and has had visiting positions at Federico II, Università degli Studi di Napoli; Università degli Studi di Catania and Università degli Studi di Calabria. Since 2012, Nick has had an ongoing Visiting position at the Università degli Studi di Trento, Dipartimento di Sociologia e Ricerca Sociale, Centro di Studi Scenari migratori e mutamento sociale. He is currently Co-editor of the journal Anthropological Forum (Taylor & Francis).
Recent Courses Taught
- Cultural Theory (SACR-3560)
- The Unruly City: Urban Analysis and ethnography (SACR-8270)
- Ph.D., University of Toronto (1996), Social/Cultural Anthropology
- MA, University of Toronto (1990), Social/Cultural Anthropology
- AB, Harvard University (1989), Magna cum laude, Social Anthropology
Recent and Key Publications
Harney, N. 2020. Interculturalism, Inequality and Hospitality in Italy. Ethnos: Journal of Anthropology. DOI 10.1080/00141844.2020.1806898
Brighenti, Andrea Mubi and Harney, N. 2019. Comparing what? Conceptualizing comparison in ethnographic research – Introduction. Etnografia e Ricerca Qualitativa /Ethnography & Qualitative Research. 12 (2) 123-134.
- Harney, N. 2017. The ritualisation of hospitality: comparative notes at the frontiers of migration. In Frontiers, Migrations, Anchorings / Frontières, migrations, ancrages / Frontiere, migrazioni, ancoraggi. University of Catania, TEMA, eds. Melania Nucifora and Paolo Militello.
- Harney, N. 2015. Italian Mobilities and Diasporic Circulation in Neoliberal Times. Ruth Ben-Ghiat & Stephanie Malia Hom (eds.) Italian Mobilities New York: Routledge
- Harney, N. 2014. Temporalities of migration and reflexive ethnographyMondi Migranti 3:47-62.
- Harney, N. 2013. Precarity Affect and Problem Solving with Mobile Phones by Asylum Seekers Refugees and Migrants in Naples Italy, Journal of Refugee Studies doi:10.1093/jrs/fet017.
- Harney, N. 2012. Migrant strategies informal economies and ontological security Ukrainians in Naples Italy International Journal of Sociology and Social Policy, 32(1/2).
- Harney, N. 2011. Neoliberal restructuring and multicultural legacies the experiences of a mid-level actor in recognizing difference Ethnic and Racial Studies, 34(11) pp. (doi:10.1080/01419870.2011.558589)
- Harney, N. 2011. Accounting for African migrants in Naples Italy Critical Perspectives on Accounting (doi:10.1016/j.cpa.2010.08.003)
- Harney, N. 2007. Transnationalism and Entrepreneurial Migrancy in Naples Italy Journal of Ethnic and Migration Studies, 33(2):219-232.
- Harney, N. 2006. Precarious migrant knowledge workers new entrepreneurial identities in Naples Italy, International Journal of Manpower, 27(6): 572-587.
- Harney, N. 2006. The Politics of Urban Space Modes of Place-making by Italians in Torontos Neighbourhoods Modern Italy, 11(1): 27-44.
- Harney, N. 2006. The Alternative Economies of Emigration and Immigration the Real and the Constitution of Italian Nation Spaces Mobilities, 1(3): 373-390.
- Harney, N. 2006. Rumour migrants and the informal economies of Naples Italy International Journal of Sociology and Social Policy, 26(9-10): 374-384.
- Harney, N. (2015) Shadow Work (Ivan Illich) G. Ritzer (Ed.), The Blackwell Encyclopedia of Sociology, Blackwell, Malden, MA, Vol. X, pp. 5294-5.
- Harney, N. 2006. Italian Diasporas Share the Neighbourhood in the English-speaking World 11(1): 5-9.
- Harney, N. 2004. Migrant Productivities: Street Vendors and the Informal Knowledge Work in Naples International Journal of Economic Development 6 (2) 303-327.
- Harney, N. and F. Sturino (eds. compiled with notes and introductions) 2002. The Lucky Immigrant The Public Life of Fortunato Rao. CITD, University of Toronto/MHSO.
- Harney, N. 2002. Building Italian Regional Identity in Toronto: Using Space to Make Culture Material
Grants and Awards
- SSHRC Insight Grant, 2020-2024, The ritualization of hospitality: A comparative ethnography across Italy
- SSHRC Connection Grant, 2018, Summer Institute in Migration, Mobilities and Borders, Trento, Italy https://www.uwindsor.ca/sociology/174/migration-mobility-and-borders-summer-institute
- Outstanding Paper Award Winner at the Literati Network Awards for Excellence 2013
- Emerald Literati Network Highly Commended Award 2007
Academic Society Involvement
Editor, Editorial Board of the journal Anthropological Forum: A Journal of Anthropology and Comparative Sociology. (Taylor & Francis, 2018 - 5 year Impact Factor 0.953).
Editorial Board Member, Italian American Review. The Italian American Review (IAR), a bi-annual journal of the John D. Calandra Italian American Institute of The City University of New York.