Reza Nakhaie, PhD
Professor & Graduate Chair
Office: CHS 156-1
Telephone: 519-253-3000 ext. 3706
Dr. Nakhaie has been actively involved in the study of social class, gender and race/ethnicity as principle categories in the organization of daily social life and how these shape social rankings, access to resources and life experiences. His main focus of investigation is on the role of equity (justice and fairness) and diversity (various demographic concerns) in Canadian society, in general, and more recently, in higher education. His research interests also involve topics such as crime, delinquency, fear of crime, family violence and the role of the media in perpetuating a hegemonic conception of social reality.
His current research involves the investigation of several areas:
- Labour market integration of immigrants
- Social mobility of minority groups
- Elite challenging behaviours
- PhD (University of Waterloo - Sociology)
Recent and Key Publications:
- Nakhaie, R. 2020. Language proficiency and cultural integration. Special Issue of Applied Psycholinguistics. Forthcoming.
- Nakhaie, R., Halliday, J., and Roberts, S. 2020. Retirement inequalities: the immigrant ethnic origin effects. Canadian Ethnic Studies. 52 (1): 23-48
- Nakhaie, R. 2019. Muslims, integration, and pride in Canadian democracy. Canadian Ethnic Studies, 50(3):1–2.
- Nakhaie, R. 2018. Service needs of immigrants and refugees. Journal of International Migration and Integration, 19:143–160.
- Nakhaie, R. 2018. Social inequality, social capital and homicide in 135 countries. International Journal of Management and Applied Science, 4(12):21-24.
- Nakhaie, R. and Datta, P. 2018. Who’s got my back? A neo-Durkheimian analysis of suicidality and perceptions of social support in British Columbia and Saskatchewan. Canadian Journal of Sociology, 4393:143–169.
- Nakhaie, R. 2017. Sociocultural adjustment of refugees and immigrants. Special Issue of Canadian Diversity, 8(6):25–29.
- Economic Benefits of Self-employment for Canadian immigrants, Canadian Review of Sociology, 2015. http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/cars.12083
- Discrimination and Health of Male and Female Canadian, International Journal of immigration and Integration (with R. Wijesingha), 2015. http://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s12134-014-0392-y
- Trust and Support for Surveillance Policies in Canadian and American Opinion, International Criminal Justice Review (with W. deLint), 2014, 23(3):149-169. http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/j.1755-618X.2010.01240.x/abstract
- Social Capital, Employment and Occupational Status of the New immigrants in Canada (with A. Kazemipur), International Journal of Migration & Integration 2013, 14(3):419-437.http://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s12134-014-0392-y
- The Economics of Attachment: Making a Case for Relational Approach to Immigrants' Integration in Canada (with A. Kazemipur), 2013. International Journal of Migration & Integration F:\nakhaie\, International Journal of immigration and Integration http://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s12134-013-0284-6/fulltext.html
- Ideological Orientation of Professors and Equity Policies for Racialized Minorities, Canadian Ethnic Studies, 2013. https://www.questia.com/library/journal/1G1-345609916/ideological-orientation-of-professors-and-equity-policies
- The Ideological Orientation of Canadian University Professors Canadian Journal of Higher Education (with R. Brym) , 2012 F:\nakhaie\PR2003http://ojs.library.ubc.ca/index.php/cjhe/article/view/517
- 45 Years of the Canadian Review of Sociology (and Anthropology). Canadian review of Sociology, 2010.http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/j.1755-618X.2010.01240.x/abstract
- A four year (1996-2000) analysis of social capital and health status of Canadians: The Difference that love Make. Social Science & Medicine (with R. Arnold) 2010 (71)1037-1044. http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0277953610004508
- Professional, Critical, Policy and Public Academics in Canada, Canadian Journal of Sociology (with R. Brym) 2009 (34):655-669. https://ejournals.library.ualberta.ca/index.php/CJS/article/view/6305
- Professors, Ideology and Housework, Journal of Family and Economic Issues 30(34):399-411.http://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s12134-014-0392-y
- Social Capital and Myth of Minority Self-employment: Evidence from Canada (with R., X. Lin and J. Guan) Journal of Ethnic and Migration Studies, 2008 (35): 625-644. http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.1080/13691830902765244
- Political Affiliation of Canadian University Professors Canadian Journal of Sociology (With B. Adam) 33(4) https://ejournals.library.ualberta.ca/index.php/CJS/article/view/1036
- Social Capital, Individual Disorder and Property Offences (with V. Sacco) International Journal of Law and Psychiatry 2008 (32): 392-399. http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0160252709001083
- Social Capital and Political Participation of Canadians, Canadian Journal of Political Sciences 2008 (41):835-860 http://journals.cambridge.org/action/displayAbstract?fromPage=online&aid=2917584&fulltextType=RA&fileId=S0008423908081055
- Contemporary Realities and Future Visions: Enhancing Multiculturalism in Canada. Canadian Ethnic Studies https://www.questia.com/library/journal/1G1-154070109/contemporary-realities-and-future-visions-enhancing
- Gender Differences in Publication among University Professors in Canada. Canadian Review of Sociology & Anthropology, 2002 (39) http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/j.1755-618X.2002.tb00615.x/abstract
- Class, Breadwinner Ideology and Housework among Canadian Husbands Review of Radical Political Economics 2002(34) http://rrp.sagepub.com/content/34/2/137.abstract
- Social Inequalities, Social capital and Health of Canadians (with Smylie and Arnold) Review of radical political Economics 2007 (39):562-585 http://rrp.sagepub.com/content/39/4/562.abstract
- Effects of class positions of parents on educational attainment of daughters and sonsfalse (with J. Curtis). The Canadian Review of Sociology 1998 35: 483-515. http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/j.1755-618X.1998.tb00733.x/abstract
- Universalism, Ascription and Academic Rank: Canadian Professors, 1987-2000. Canadian Review of Sociology & Anthropology, 2007, 44 Issue 3. http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/j.1755-618X.2007.tb01190.x/abstract
- Nakhaie, R. 2018. Class, Gender and Ethnic Inequalities in Canada: Theory and Evidence. Nelson.
- Nakhaie, R. 2014. Sociological Practices. Nelson.
- Nakhaie, R. 2012. A Sociologist at Work. 88 pages. Nelson.
- Nakhaie, R. 2008. Controversies in Canadian Sociology. Thomson – Nelson.
- Nakhaie, M.R. 2002. Debates on Social Inequality: Class, Gender and Ethnicity in Canada, Thomson - Nelson (reprint).
- Nakhaie, M.R. 1999. Debates on Social Inequality: Class, Gender and Ethnicity in Canada, Harcourt Brace and Co. Canada.
- Nakhaie, R. 2017. Liberty aspiration and political behaviours. In Readings in Sociology, edited by L. Tepperman and P. Albanese. Oxford University Press.
- Nakhaie, R. 2016. What drives elite-challenging behaviours? In Understanding Inequality: Social Costs and Benefits, edited by N. Stehr and A. Machin. Zeppelin University Press.
- Nakhaie, R. and R. Arnold. 2013. Love and change in health. Pp. 192–197 in Reading Sociology, edited by L. Tepperman and A. Kalyta. Oxford University Press.
- Nakhaie, R., Silverman, R. A. and LaGrange, T. C. 2013. Self-control and resistance to school. In Reading Sociology: Canadian Perspectives, edited by L. Tepperman and H. Dickinson. Oxford University Press.
- Nakhaie, R. 2004. Housework in Canada: The National Picture (reprint) In Macionis, J., Benokraitis, N. and Ravelli, B., Seeing Ourselves: Classic, Contemporary, and Cross-cultural Readings in Sociology, 537 pages, Pearson-Prentice Hall, Toronto.
- Nakhaie, R., R. Silverman, T. LaGrange. 2002. Self-control and Social-control: An examination of gender, ethnicity, class and delinquency (Reprint) In R. Hinch (ed), Debates in Canadian Criminology, 154-176, Prentice Hall.
- Nakhaie, R. 2000. Ownership and Management Position of Canadian Ethnic Groups, 1973-1989 (Reprint) In Kalbach, M. and W. Kalbach (eds), Perspectives on Ethnicity in Canada, 155-181, Harcourt Brace and Co. Canada.
- Social Capital and Social Outcomes, SSHRC.
- Vertical Mosaic among the Canadian professoriate, SSHRC.
- Labour Market Integration of Immigrants, SSHRC.
- Successful Partnership Grant: Child and Youth Refugee Research Coalition, SSHRC (co-investigator).
- Self-control and Educational Attainment, SSHRC (co-investigator).
- Community Social Capital and Crime, SSHRC (co-investigator).
- The Multi-dimensional Impact of Information Communication technology on Literacy Development of Ethnic Minority Students, SSHRC (co-investigator).
- Growing New Roots: Understanding Homelessness among immigrants and Refugees in a Border City, SSHRC (co-investigator).
- Multi-barriers for Asian Immigrant Settlement and Integration, Heritage Canada (co-investigator).
- Newcomers’ Assets and Resources (contract, YMCA).
- Social Capital and Integration of Newcomers (internal).
- Social Capital and Integration of Immigrants (internal).
- Integration of Immigrants (internal).
- Social Inequality and Health (internal).
- Race-targeted Policies (internal).
Academic Society Involvement:
- Executive Editor, Canadian Review of Sociology (2009-2013)
Recent Conference Presentations:
- Nakhaie, M.R. 2019. Tools for Publication in Journals by Graduate Students, University of Windsor.
- Nakhaie, R., Halliday, J., and Roberts, S. 2019. Retirement inequalities: the immigrant ethnic origin effects. Metropolis Conference, Halifax, Nova Scotia.
- Nakhaie, R. 2018. Self-control and educational attainment of youth newcomers. Metropolis Conference, Calgary, Alberta.
- Nakhaie, R. 2018. Social capital and immigrant integration. Leadership Training Conference, YMCA, Geneva Park, Orillia, Ontario.
- Nakhaie, R. 2018. Youth newcomers’ education and employment. YMCA, Windsor, Ontario.
- Nakhaie, R. 2018. Self-control and resistance to school among newcomer refugees, 2018, YMCA of Windsor, Invited.
- Nakhaie, R., Social Capital and Immigrant Integration, 2018, Leadership Training and Conference Centre, YMCA Geneva Park, Orillia, Invited.
- Nakhaie, R. 2017. Service workers and needs of newcomers. Windsor–Essex, Chatham–Kent Professional Development Conference for IRCC Professionals, Windsor, Ontario.
- Nakhaie, R. and Datta, P. 2016. Social capital and suicidal ideation. Canadian Sociological Association, Toronto, Ontario.
- Nakhaie, R. 2016. Political trust and incumbency vote. New Directions in Humanities, University of Illinois, Chicago.
- Nakhaie, R. 2015. Postmaterialism and elite-challenging behaviours. Canadian Sociological Association, University of Ottawa, Ottawa.
- Dadgar, A. and Nakhaie, R. 2015. Political elites in Iran. Canadian Sociological Association, University of Ottawa, Ottawa.
- Nakhaie, R. 2014. Trust and Iranian Election of 2009, Canadian Sociological Association, Brock University.
- Nakhaie, R. 2013. Discrimination and health of male and female Canadian immigrants. The International Conference on Gender and Migration: Critical Issues and Policy Implications, Maramara University, Turkey.
- Nakhaie, R. 2013. Immigrant's occupational and Earning attainment, Canadian Sociological Association, Vancouver.
- Nakhaie, R. 2012. Gender and Inequality in Universities, International Journal of Arts & Science Conference, International Journal of Arts & Science Conference, Invited.
- Nakhaie, R. 2012. Skill Transferability and New Immigrants, Canadian Sociological Association, University of Victoria.
- Nakhaie, R. 2011. Community Health, 2011, Canadian Sociological Association, Fredericton, NB Canada.
- Nakhaie, R. 2011. Community and Individual Level Social inequality and Health, Canadian Sociological Association, Canadian Sociological Association, Montreal, Canada.
- Nakhaie, R,. 2011. Trust and Support for Security and Surveillance in the U.S. and Canada, International Journal of Arts & Science Conference, International Journal of Arts & Science Conference, Malta.
- Nakhaie, R. 2011. Trust and Surveillance, University of Malta Gozo Campus, IJAS Conference, University of Malta Gozo Campus, IJAS Conference.
- Nakhaie, R. 2010. Canadian Professors' Views of Employment Equity for Visible Minorities, Ottawa, Canadian Sociological Association.
- Nakhaie, R. 2010. Love and Health, Canadian Sociological Association.
- Nakhaie, R. 2010. University Professors and Equity, Orlando, University of Central Florida, Academic Conference for Academic Disciplines.
- Nakhaie, R. 2010. How to Publish in Refereed Journal, Canadian Sociological Association.