Incoming exchange students pose outside of residence building with flags

Health Insurance Plan

Health Insurance

All exchange students are required to purchase health insurance from the University of Windsor.

This insurance provides very good insurance coverage for basic medical care and any medical emergencies in Ontario and the rest of Canada. This insurance does not provide "supplementary health" coverage for things such as prescriptions or dental care.

More details on our health insurance plan.

Students that have been required to purchase insurance from their home school before departing can be considered for an exemption, but we must receive a notice about this from the Exchange Office at your school before you arrive to be considered for an exemption. One good way to test to see if you will qualify for this is to check to see if all the students coming from your school have the same insurance - if the answer to this is "no they don't", then you will not qualify for an exemption. Asking for this exemption at the start of the semester is not going to be considered.

Additional Insurance

Getting insurance to cover you while on an exchange is a very good idea:

  • Travel insurance to cover your plan tickets and baggage while travelling
  • Health insurance coverage for travel outside of Canada (to the USA for example) as well as to cover your belongings while you are here

Make sure to bring with you detailed information on what the insurance covers (and it must be in English) and phone numbers for contacting your insurance company.