Incoming exchange students posing with their flags in front of the Ambassador bridge

Pre-Arrival Information

Traveling to Windsor:

The University of Windsor is located on the international border with Detroit, Michigan in the United States.  It is only 30 minutes away from Detroit's Metropolitan Airport (DTW) and approximately 350 km from Toronto's Pearson Airport (YYZ).

There are many options when traveling to Windsor by air, train, bus or car - please make sure that you review the information "How to Reach UWindsor?" before making your travel plans. 

If arriving by car, please review the directions to campus.

Arrival Information - exchange arrival form

We are interested in your safe arrival in Windsor and request that you provide us with the details of your arrival in Canada and Windsor.  Unfortunately, we do not offer a pick-up service.  This information is only for informational purposes.

Please read and complete the Exchange Student Arrival form.

If you should have any questions or concerns before you arrive, please send email to:

Immigration Requirements (for CANADA):

Well in advance of leaving your home country, please be sure you have necessary study permits and Visas to enter Canada. 

Exchange students coming for only 1 semester are not required to have a Study Permit, but students from some countries will still be required to have an entry visa.
All exchange students coming for 2 semesters are required to have a Study Permit and you must apply for this in advance of your departure.  Students from some countries will also be required to have an entry visa.

The Government of Canada's Immigration and Citizenship website provides the necessary documents that are needed to enter the country.

Immigration Requirements (for the USA)

If you are planning on travelling in the USA while on exchange at UWindsor, you should check if you need a visa or any special travel documents with the USA Embassy closest to you for more information.  You need to do this well in advance of when you plan to travel.

If you are planning on flying into Detroit airport (DTW) you WILL need to apply for a special USA visa in order to be permitted to do this. Visitors to the USA are only permitted to stay for 90 days and if you fly into Detroit for your exchange it looks to them as if you are going to be in the USA for four months (even though you are going to be in Canada for most of that time).  You can apply for a special visa that permits you to stay longer in the USA and this eliminates the "90 day" problem.

** Students that have failed to get the visa in advance of travelling have been denied access to their flights or made change their return ticket (at considerable expense) to some time in the middle of the semester.