The COVID-19 pandemic brought a lot of changes to how we work, teach, and learn at the University of Windsor. One of those changes came in the form of one-time Ontario government funding which enabled the University to upgrade technologies in a group of classrooms that allow us to offer livestreamed classes and events from those spaces. A portable version of the HyFlex classroom technology will also be available. In all, 22 classrooms will have live-streaming capabilities, and 15 mobile HyFlex units will also be available. This site is a joint project between the Office of Open Learning, the Centre for Teaching and Learning, and IT Services, who are supporting HyFlex instructors and students.
All instructors who are teaching a hy-flex course will be added to an MS Team titled UOW - HyFlex Classrooms, which is a place to ask questions, share ideas, and find resources. If you are not able to access the Team, please email firstname.lastname@example.org. The HyFlex team will be monitoring the Team channels to provide support and information as needed. There are separate channels for instructors and TAs and each will have relevant information for that group. It is our goal to provide an informal, collegial and supportive community within the Team site. If you have questions about HyFlex, grant money, or administration, please email email@example.com where the team can triage and provide the most up to date information.
Booking Time in your HyFlex Classroom
Instructors will be able to book a time in a HyFlex classroom to visit and practice using the equipment between Sept 1 – Sept. 8. It is strongly recommended that you practice with your HyFlex TA once they are hired. It may not be possible to always have an AV support other than your TA in the room when you are practicing, but staff will be on call to help.
Detailed procedures on how to request a room booking are outlined in this TeamDynamix Knowledge Base Article. Your request will be reviewed and approval for will be sent via email. Please note that due to the volume of requests from instructors, your particular room may not always be available and we aim to provide equitable access to all instructors to allow them to practice in their classrooms. Requests for AV support in your trial session should be submitted via a TDX ticket. Please coordinate your schedule with your HyFlex TA so they can assist you and practice with you.
Getting Audio Visual (AV) Support
AV Services will be supporting HyFlex classrooms, F2F classrooms and on-campus events throughout the semester.
Fast-response AV support can be reached via:
- calling ext. 3051 (the normal/known process from pre-COVID; this number is posted on classroom consoles/phones)
- emailing firstname.lastname@example.org (which will go to the AV Student Technicians channel in the UOW - HyFlex Classrooms team). Please provide your location (building and classroom) and a brief description of your issue
A one-page document will be available for how to use the console and pdf versions will be emailed to instructors and will be available in the MS Team – UOW Hyflex Classrooms through the HyFlex Instructors channel under Files (top of the screen).
Please ensure either you or your TA picks up the wireless microphone you will need in class at the IT Service Desk in the lower level of UCC or if available, in the building with the AV student (check with AV to see if your building is included for building pick-up). Allow sufficient time to pick up the equipment in addition to setting up your class and technology.
Revisiting Training Recordings and Resources
This section provides you with information you can review in your own place and time as many times as you need to!
- View a recording (and files) of a HyFlex High-Touch (MS Teams) training session for UWindsor
- View a recent (unedited) recording of a HyFlex High-Touch (Blackboard Collaborate) training session for UWindsor
- Review short videos on how to effectively use MS Teams
- Review a video on using MS Teams Break-out Rooms
- Review an article on using MS Teams Break-out rooms
- Tips for those new to videoconferencing
- MS Teams for Teaching PressBook
All HyFlex TAs will be added to an MS Team entitled UOW HyFlex Classrooms. If you are not able to access the MS Team, please email email@example.com. In this site is the HyFlex support team which includes members from OOL, CTL and ITS in addition to the HyFlex TAs and the AV support employees. Each channel will have relevant information to that group where users can pose questions or respond to colleague’s inquiries. It is our goal to provide a collegial and supportive community with the MS Team. If you have questions about HyFlex please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
All HyFlex TAs need to complete the HyFlex TA training program. Before completing the training, be sure to meet (virtually or in person) with your instructor to discuss your specific role. Use Discussion Questions for a HyFlex TA and Instructor to help start the conversation but feel free to add any other questions you have.
Four Part HyFlex TA Training
- Part 1. View the introductory video, Introduction to Being a HyFlex TA, and read the TA Guide for HyFlex (Livestream) Classes.
- Part 2. Attend a one-hour on-campus HyFlex TA Orientation. Orientation sessions begin Monday August 30th. Sign up for a session on the Office of Open Learning workshop page.
- Part 3. Meet with your instructor in your classroom to practice and get comfortable with the equipment and working together. Instructors will be booking one-hour room appointments for August 30 through September 8. Reach out to your instructor to find out the date and time of their appointment.
- Part 4. You will need to also know how to use Microsoft Teams and/or Blackboard Collaborate (depending on which your instructor intends to use) well enough to help the instructor in class and help students who may be having difficulties. We have gathered a few resources to help you learn the most relevant aspects of these systems on your own prior to the start of classes.