Employment Group List:
Unifor 2458 Full-Time
Job Posting Number:
31/03/2023 - 4:00pm
Temporary Vacancy - Until approximately April 12, 2024
The Research Grant Accountant is one of the financial administrators of research contribution agreements and supports the research activities of the University by providing financial administration and reporting on research projects.
SUMMARY OF DUTIES:
- Reviews data provided by ORIS and the funding agency to create new research grants in the financial information system. Sets up the initial grant budget in accordance with prescribed templates and communicates to the Primary Investigator (PI).
- Reviews external correspondence from the funding agencies. Adjusts research budgets to reflect new or lost funding and processes revenue for research in concert with the Accounts Receivable team.
- Reviews and approves all charges applied against grant accounts through the financial information system’s automated workflow (i.e.: invoices, purchase requisitions, expense reports). Forwards any to the PI for their approval. Follows up with submitter as required where the charge has to be rejected or sent back to the submitter for more information.
- Reviews grant status and funds remaining, works with the PI to increase or decrease spending as required. Where grants are overspent or nearly overspent, identifies alternative funding source for PI’s.
- Provides suggestions to the Manager for process, policy or system improvements to improve internal controls, efficiency or customer service.
- Completes financial reports and budget variance analysis as required by the external funding agency, partner, auditor, participating organization, etc. and satisfies any required reporting of the funding agency. These reports include monthly, quarterly, semi-annual or annual time periods.
- Supports ORIS with pre-award financial matters including providing advice on eligible costs and budget development.
- Supports the PI’s with all elements of their post-award financial management including providing information about eligible costs, start and end dates, University of Windsor finance department policy and process information, status of grant information.
- Liaises and coordinates with external funding agencies to ensure proper administration and reporting of grants, including gaining any clause or policy clarification from the funding agencies, and discussing budget changes requested by the PI.
- Other duties as assigned.
The successful candidate will have:
- Bachelor’s Degree in a related field (Accounting, Finance, Business)
- Knowledge of and past experience in research administration
- Intermediate accounting training or education, such as an accounting designation, progression towards an accounting designation, or other advanced levels of accounting education
- Knowledge and understanding of financial and accounting matters, including budget development, journal entries, accounting reconciliation and generally accepted accounting principles
- Proven client-centered service delivery
- Proven experience in a computerized accounting system
- Excellent computer skills including Microsoft Office – Word, Excel (intermediate), Outlook
- Minimum 3 years of experience in Research Administration
- Understanding of the University environment, processes, and policies
- Advanced Excel skills including Macros
THE FOLLOWING TESTS WILL BE ADMINISTERED:
MS Word (Basic Level), MS Excel (Advanced Level); Accounting (65% pass)
- Ability to analyze, interpret, explain and comply with policies and procedures
- Ability to manage stress and deal with tight reporting deadlines
- Ability to handle significant volumes of work and prioritize tasks
- Ability to maintain strict confidence and be able to exercise tact, diplomacy, discretion, integrity, and sound judgement at all times
- Strong interpersonal skills, high level of professionalism, ability to work independently with minimal supervision and within a team environment; ability to take initiative and problem solve
HOURS OF WORK:
Monday to Friday 8:30am – 4:30pm
Rate of Pay:
As per Schedule 'A' - Unifor 2458 FT Collective Agreement