Employment Group List:
Unifor 2458 Full-Time
Job Posting Number:
02/06/2023 - 4:00pm
The Graduate Secretary provides administrative and academic support to the School Director, Graduate Chair, Graduate Executive Committee, and graduate students of the School of Computer Science.
SUMMARY OF DUTIES:
- Facilitate, coordinate, and advise students of program policies, procedures, requirements, and student registration. As well as process applications and determine financially eligible candidates for scholarships.
- Provide detailed student information to the Graduate Program Coordinator for Academic Standing Review purposes.
- Determine teaching assistant needs based on School Approved criteria for each term and create postings in accordance with the collective agreement.
- Assign applicants to positions while maintaining eligibility, ensuring conformity to the CUPE 4580 GA/TA collective agreement, HR, OHREA and School requirements; as well as monitor and track GA/TA contracts.
- Monitor and track the completion of the Compulsory Training Requirements for 80-100 GA/TA’s per term.
- Maintain database of GA appointments to ensure Collective Agreement compliance in awarding appointments.
- Organize orientation, seminars and events which may include preparing presentations, presenting to students, reserving space, catering, travel arrangements for guests, promotional materials, and prizes.
- Coordinate Graduate Executive meetings including scheduling and minute taking.
- Facilitate flow of info from department through various departments e.g., Registrars, Faculty of Graduate Studies, Cashiers, Human Resources, OHREA, Accounts Payable and Student Payroll, etc.
- Maintenance of Graduate Handbook, Office Procedures Manual, recruiting materials and Graduate Program Website for the School of Computer Science.
- Process applications in eGas including preparation of CGPA
- Track student’s progress to ensure student achieves milestones according to the University’s approved policies.
- Organize and coordinate the scheduling of MSc and PhD defenses and seminars
- Provide general department support and assist in events where needed. Other special assignments and duties as assigned by the Director and Graduate Coordinator.
The successful candidate will have:
- Diploma in office administration and/or experience in an administrative support position as it relates to the duties of the position
- Proficiency with online database applications (i.e., UWin Student, eGAS and E-Grade)
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Applications (i.e., Excel, Word), use of electronic mail and the Internet are required
- Ability to take minutes
- Proficiency with website maintenance (Drupal) and various social media
Knowledge of University financial and academic policies and processes including Senate Bylaws and faculty collective agreement where applicable (i.e., FIPPA, purchasing, withdrawal )
Familiarity with Graduate Program policies
THE FOLLOWING TESTS WILL BE ADMINISTERED:
MS Word (Intermediate Level), MS Excel (Intermediate Level); Typing (30 NWPM)
- Able to work independently with minimal supervision, good organization skills, prioritize work, take initiative, problem solving skills, ability to multi-task, maintain confidentiality
- Excellent written and oral communication and interpersonal skills are required in dealing with a broad range of diverse individuals including Students, Faculty, and Staff in a professional manner
- Ability to exercise sound judgement and to recommend resolutions on issues as they arise
- Strong teamwork and customer service skills
- Understanding of University of Windsor procedures related to International Graduate admission and employment
HOURS OF WORK:
Monday to Friday 8:30am – 4:30pm
Rate of Pay:
As per Schedule 'A' - Unifor 2458 FT Collective Agreement