PLEASE NOTE: Full Time status does not automatically guarantee a GA position. Partial GA positions may be offered based upon available funding.
Being a Graduate Assistant (GA) in the Faculty of Education can be a very rewarding experience. Please read the eligibility criteria below and if you are eligible, we encourage you to apply for a GA position. GA postings and the application form will be sent out to all qualified students in late-July. Please complete it and submit it to the Education Graduate Program Office at the beginning of either the Fall or Winter term.
- Full Time registered M.Ed./ Ph.D. student
- International students must have a valid study permit
- Sessional instructing on campus while holding a GAship is not permitted
- Working Full Time off campus while holding a GAship is not permitted
- All GAs are expected to attend the Orientation session which is held by the Faculty of Graduate Studies annually in September.
- The duties of a GA may include, but are not limited to: preparation for classes, preparation of written or audiovisual materials, designing and maintaining course related material, attending lectures, teaching under the direction of faculty, leading discussions, rating students’ work, holding office hours, consulting with students (including electronic consultation), writing and grading tests, examinations, grading essays and term papers, proctoring exams, tests, midterms, and quizzes, setting up experiments, conducting field trips, attending employer orientation workshops and training, and conferring with the supervisor in charge, as required by the employee’s teaching duties. The tasks are determined by the Professor to whom the GA is assigned.
- GAs are unionized. A copy of their collective agreement is available on the Graduate Studies website.
- GAs are expected to work an average of 10 hours per week for 14 weeks in a term (140 hours per term). Depending upon the number of applicants, partial GA positions may be assigned. The maximum number of hours that a student can work on campus is 10 hours per week.
- Payment for work is made by direct deposit, every two weeks during employment. Pay stubs are sent to the GA’s University of Windsor email account.
- Tracking of hours worked is done using a timesheet. Please share this information with your professor once a month.
GA applicants will be notified by email after decisions have been made by the Associate Dean (GRC), Faculty of Education. Successful applicants will be asked to come to the Education Graduate Program Office to sign a contract. Direct deposit will be set up at the Human Resource Office so please bring a VOID cheque with you. They will also generate your employee number.
GA/TA Collective Agreement, p. 17 Article 13 – Financial Support
13:01 a) those students offered Assistantships at the Ph.D. level shall receive no fewer than the equivalent of seven (7) full terms of support. However, such students may apply for one (1) additional full term of support (for a maximum of up to eight (8) full-terms of support);
b) those students offered Assistantships at the Master’s level shall receive no fewer than the equivalent of three (3) full terms of support. However, such students may apply for one (1) additional full term of support (for a maximum of up to four (4) full-terms of support)
Current graduate assistanships can be found on the main job postings page.