Prof. Chad Sutherland
Co-op and Internship Coordinator
Phone : (519) 253 - 3000 ext: 4050
Office: H.K. Building Room 114
B.Sc. (Honours) - Human Kinetics: University of Guelph - 2002
M.Sc. - Sport and Exercise Science: University of New Brunswick - 2004
Certified Kinesiologist - 2008
Chad Sutherland supervises the applied learning programs for the Department of Kinesiology, including the Internship Program and the Co-operative Education Program. Chad Sutherland is involved with a community partnership focusing on the fitness and health of individuals with a physical and intellectual disability. Chad is also very involved in strength and conditioning programs as well as physiological testing of athletes and different sport programs. Chad Sutherland is a member of the National Strength and Conditioning Association (NSCA) and the Ontario Kinesiology Association (OKA).
95-200: Introduction to Health & Wellness
95-398: Practice, Theory & Analysis of Physical Fitness
95-498: Undergraduate Internship
95-299: Co-op Work Experience I
95-399: Co-op Work Experience II
95:499: Co-op Work Experience III
Areas of Research:
• Strength & conditioning training for sport performance
• Unstable exercise training
• Exercise programing for special populations
• Electromyography to force relationships
Recent Research Funding:
- Humanities and Social Science Research Grants (2012-2013): A 12-week Sport Intervention Program
- Ontario Ministry of Health Promotion – Healthy Communities Fund (2010-2012): A 12-week Strength & Conditioning Program to Improve Health and Performance.
Recent Scholarly Activities:
- Sutherland, C.A., Furmanek, M., Lambrecht, S. & Frank, J. (2012). Whole body muscle activation patterns when supporting an unstable load. Joint World Congress of International Society for Posture and Gait Research & Gait and Mental Function, Trondheim, Norway.
- Kanters, A., Sutherland, C.A. & Andrews, D.M. (2012). A comparison of hamstring flexibility improvements in elite athletes: Flexkor v.s. therapist. Ontario Biomechanics Conference, Barrie, Ontario.
- Sutherland, C.A., LaDelfa, N. & Potvin, J.R. (2011). An ergonomic evaluation of automotive hose quick-connect couplings: A comparison between in-line and "wiggle" techniques. 42nd Annual Conference of the Association of Canadian Ergonomists, London, Ontario.
- Furmanek, M., Sutherland, C.A., Lambrecht, S., Frank, J. & Juras, G. (2011) Balancing with and unstable object: The adaptation to a novel dynamic task. 6th International Posture Symposium, Smolenice, Slovakia
- Woodruff, S.J., Sutherland, C.A. & Wolf, D. (2011). Nutrition behaviour changes with a 12-week physical activity and nutrition intervention among community-dwelling individuals with intellectual disabilities. Canadian Society for Nutrition Conference, Guelph, Ontario.
- LaDelfa, N., Sutherland, C.A. & Potvin, J. (2010) High-Pass filtering to improve sEMG to force relationship during maximal effort dynamic quadriceps contractions to Fatigue. Ontario Biomechanics Conference, Barrie, Ontario.
- Nairn, B., Sutherland, C.A. & Drake, J. (2010). Effects of the Location of Instability on Motion Patterns and Electromyography Activity in Bench Press Exercises. Canadian Society for Biomechanics, Kingston, Ontario.