Dr. Sarah Woodruff
Phone: (519)253-3000, ext. 4982
Office: H.K. Building Room 139
Postdoctoral Fellow: Propel, University of Waterloo
PhD: Health Studies and Gerontology, University of Waterloo (Nutrition)
MSc: University of New Brunswick (Kinesiology)
BPE University of New Brunswick (Kinesiology)
Health & wellness of Canadians
Body weight management (energy balance)
Nutrition and physical activity patterns, behaviours, and attitudes
Family and school influence on nutrition and physical activity
Nutrition and physical activity assessment methodologies
I am a multidisciplinary researcher who strives to advance the knowledge surrounding healthy weights among Canadian children and adolescents. More specifically, I research family and school influence on nutrition and physical activity behaviours and how that ultimately impacts body weight.
- Santarossa S, Coyne P, Woodruff SJ. Exploring #nofilter images when a filter has in fact been used: Filtering the truth on Instagram through a mixed methods approach using Netlytic and photo analysis. Int J Virtual Comm Soc Networking. 2017; 9(1).
- Santarossa S, Woodruff SJ. #SocialMedia: The impact of a media literacy intervention on body image, self-esteem, disordered eating and/or eating disorders in males and females. Media and Education Research Journal 2017; 7(2):120-35.
- Santarossa S, Coyne P, Lisinski C, Woodruff SJ. #Fitspo on Instagram: A mixed methods approach using Netlytic and photo analysis, uncovering the online discussion and author/image characteristics. J Health Psychol (Nov, 2016). pii: 1359105316676334. [Epub ahead of print]
- Woodruff SJ, Harrop B, Campbell K, Campbell T, Cole M. Dietary Intake among 7th grade students attempting to gain weight. Can J Diet Prac Res. 2016; 77(2): 106-109.
- Santarossa S, Ciccone J, Woodruff SJ. An evaluation of the Kinect-Ed presentation, a motiving nutrition and cooking intervention for young adolescents. Appl Physiol Nutr Metab. 2015 Sep;40(9):945-50. doi: 10.1139/apnm-2015-0110. Epub 2015 Aug 18.
Paige Coyne (MHK Candidate)
Erin Dufour (MHK Candidate)
Sara Santarossa (PhD Candidate; MHK, 2015)
Tre Paton (MHK, 2017)
Patricia Dubé (MHK, 2017)
Michael Hatten (MHK, 2015)
Neil Pettit (MHK, 2015)
Kevin Mageto (MHK, 2015)
Jillian Ciccone (MHK, 2013)
Brad Harrop (MHK,2013)
Ashley Kirby (MHK, 2012)
Dr. Woodruff with PhD Candidate, Sara Santarossa- who was awarded the GA/TA Award for Educational Practise. Dr. Woodruff with MHK Candidate, Paige Coyne- who was awarded the 2017 Outstanding Undergradate Student for Research Excellence, Scholarship, and Creative Activity at the University of Windsor.