- Ph.D., University of Cambridge, 1998 (Social and Political Science)
- M.A., University of Calgary, 1991 (Political Science)
- M.A. (Hons) University of Edinburgh, 1989 (Modern History and Politics)
I have been Department Head of Political Science since 2012. Before that I served as Graduate Chair. I began working at the University of Windsor in July 2000.
My current research focuses on the Canada-U.S. border. I am currently studying the impact of the Trump presidency on the functioning and future of the border in collaboration with Dr. Bill Anderson. In addition, I research the reform of the Detroit River border crossing and the policy-making surrounding the possible construction of the new Gordie Howe International Bridge as well as the twinning of the Ambassador Bridge. I am particularly interested in the impact of community activism and local government engagement in the policy-making process surrounding this policy-making.
My earlier research focused on the place and importance of local government within the European Union and in Canada both as single case studies and in comparative perspective.
- POLS 2440 Government and Politics in Europe
- POLS 2680 International Organizations
- POLS 3260 Local Government
- Sutcliffe, John B. and Anderson, William P., The Canada-US Border in the 21st Century: Trade, Immigration and Security in the Age of Trump, Routledge, 1-280, 2019.
- Megan, Auer; Sutcliffe, John B. and Lee, Martha F., Framing the ‘White Widow’: Using intersectionality to uncover complex representations of female terrorism in news media, Media, War & Conflict, 2018
- Sutcliffe, John B. and Cipkar, Sarah, Citizen Participation in the Public Transportation Policy Process: A Comparison of Detroit, Michigan, and Hamilton, Ontario, Canadian Journal of Urban Research, 26(2), 33-51, 2017
- Sutcliffe, John B., Big Business and Local Government: Matty Moroun, the Ambassador Bridge and the City of Windsor, Canadian Journal of Urban Research, 23(1), 55-73, 2014.
- Nelles, Jen and Sutcliffe, John B., On the Boundary: Local Authorities, Intergovernmental Relations and the Governance of Border Infrastructure in the Detroit-Windsor Region, Regional and Federal Studies, 23(2), 213-232, 2013
- Phull, Kiran K. and Sutcliffe, John B., Crossroads of Integration? The Future of Schengen in the Wake of the Arab Spring, The EU and the Eurozone Crisis, 177-195, Ashgate, 2013, Editor(s) - Laursen, Finn.