The Campus Community Garden Project (CCGP) was initiated in January 2010 by Rita Haase. After her application for land usage was granted by the University, Rita created the CCGP together with a group of dedicated people from the University campus and the greater Windsor community.
In order to ensure that the produce grown in the garden would be safe to eat, various analyses of the soil and the produced food were completed during spring and early summer of 2010. Volunteers began working and amending the soil with organic material in April and planting began in May. In June, a native flower garden was added to the campus community garden. From July until September, the CCGP was able to donate fresh produce to food banks and other community organizations.
To conserve as much water as possible, the installation of two 1000-litre rain barrels took place the same year.