This policy is designed to assist you with the organizing of an event. The documents Student Event & Activities Risk Management Policy (SERMP) which need to be completed are included in the Policy:
- The Primary Event Organizer Contract
- The Student Event/Activity Approval Form
- “Low Risk” Events – Forms (Appendix A) should be completed and filed in your respective department.
- “High Risk” Events – Forms (Appendix A) should be completed and forwarded to Legal Services - Assumption Hall, 3rd Floor, Room 312, Attention: Insurance, Risk & FIPPA Officer, for approval.
If you have any questions, please contact, Julie Laforet, at extension 2080.
Please Note: This protocol does not cover ratified student clubs/societies or any other student incorporated group(s). Please refer to your respective student body UWSA, GSS, OPUS, etc. for their Event Management Protocol.
Tips for Organizing Field Trips
- Complete and submit the Event/Activity Approval Forms and Primary Event Organizer Form in accordance with the Student Event Risk Management Policy (SERMP).
- For group transportation – We recommend using a bus. Ensure that insurance is included in the rental fee or paid for separately Ensure arrangements are made for any attendees with special needs. Ensure that everyone has their own health coverage. Any trips out of Canada would require out of country coverage
- Ensure attendees bring health card, identification and passport (as required)
- Ensure that arrival/departure times are known by all attendees
- Make everyone aware of “unique” Personal Safety Issues (avoiding certain areas, etc.)
- Ensure that you have a cell phone for the event
- Determine if a Waiver is required, and if so, that they are signed and stored in a safe location
- Ensure you have adequate volunteers and/or additional supervisors
- Special Activities – research any tours or outdoor activities, be aware of the inherent risks of that activity
- Bring First Aid Kit
- Have copies of blank Incident Report forms available