Paleomagnetism and Rock Magnetism of Hydrocarbon-associated Rocks, Environmental Magnetism
Department of Earth and Environmental Sciences
University of Windsor
401 Sunset Avenue
Windsor, Ontario, N9B 3P4, Canada
(519) 253-3000 x2502
Fax: (519) 973-7081
Room 103a Memorial Hall
- B.Sc. Carleton University, Canada, 1990
- M.Sc. University of Victoria, Canada, 1992
- Ph.D. Lehigh University, U.S.A., 1997
Awards & Recognition
- Undergraduate Teaching Award - Earth Sciences 2005
- Premier's Research Excellence Award 2003
- 03-61-230 Plate Tectonics and the Earth's Interior
- 03-66-327 Structural Geology
- 03-61-554 Applied Geophysical Techniques
- 03-67-280 Field Measurement and Mapping Techniques
- 03-67-370 Climate Change
- 03-61-280 Geology Field Measurements and Field Mapping
- 03-66-300 Scientific Writing and Data Management
- 03-66-202 Earth Materials
- 03-66-110 Natural Hazards and Disasters
Principal Research Interests
- Paleomagnetism and rock magnetism in hydrocarbon-associated rocks
- Causes of remagnetization in sedimentary rocks
- Environmental magnetism
Ongoing Research Projects
- Determining the nature of remagnetizations: examination of causative variables in the Williston Basin
- Paleomagnetic and rock magnetic studies of hydrocarbon source rocks in the Western Canada Sedimentary Basin
- Magnetic properties of oil sands in drill core
Paleomagnetic and Rock Magnetic Laboratories Equipment
- 2G cryogenic magnetometer
- Magnetics Measurement TSD-1 thermal demagnetizer
- Sapphire Instruments impulse magnetizer
- Sapphire Instruments AF demagnetizer with DC coil for ARM measurements
- Sapphire Instruments susceptibility meter
- Bartington field susceptibility suite and dual-frequency sensor
- Geometrics cesium gradiometer with DGPS
- AGICO Kappabridge KLY-3 susceptibility meter with furnace and low temperature attachment
- Cioppa, Maria, T; Porter, Neil; Trenhaile, Alan; Igbokwe, Blessing; Vickers, Jennifer, Beach Sediment Magnetism and Sources: Lake Erie, Ontario, Canada, Journal of Great Lakes Research, 36, 674-685, 2010.
- Hatfield, Robert; Cioppa, Maria; Trenhaile, Alan, Sediment sorting and beach erosion along a coastal foreland: Magnetic measurements in Point Pelee National Park, Ontario, Canada, Sedimentary Geology, 231, 63-73, 2010.
- Zhang, Shuwei; Cioppa, Maria; Zhang, Shihong, patial Variations in Particle Size and Magnetite Concentration on Cedar Beach: Implications for Grain-Sorting Processes, Western Lake Erie, Canada, Acta Geologica Sinica (English Edition), 84(6), 1520-1532, 2010.
- Szabo, Erika; Cioppa, Maria, T; Al-Aasm, Ihsan, S., Paleomagnetic and geochemical evidence for a pre-Triassic age for the Lower Amaranth Member of the Williston Basin of Manitoba (Canada), Canadian Journal of Earth Sciences, 46(11), 855-873, 2009.
- Shi, Ruiping; Cioppa, M.T., Magnetic survey of topsoils in Windsor-Essex County, Journal of Applied Geophysics, 60 (3-4), 201-212, 2006, December.
- Cioppa, M.T., Fluid flow in the Duperow and Winnepegosis Formations, Williston Basin, Canada, Journal of Geochemical Exploration, 89, 65-68, 2006.
- Garner, N.; Cioppa, M.T., Late Paleozoic remagnetization of the Trenton Formation in Ordovician Petroleum Reservoirs of Southwestern Ontario, Journal of Geophysical Exploration, 89, 119-123, 2006.
- Shi, R.; Zhu, J.; Zhu, R.; Deng, C.; Cioppa, M.T., Magnetostratigraphic dating of Tertiary lacustrine sediments from Shandong, North China, Journal of Geochemical Exploration, 89, 368-372, 2006, Accepted, November 30, 2005.
- Szabo, E.; Cioppa, M.T., Multiple magnetization events in the Red River carbonates, Williston Basin, Canada: evidence for fluid flow?, Journal of Geochemical Exploration, 89, 384-388, 2006, G50053; accepted, November 23, 2005.
- Pannalal, S.J., Crowe, S., Cioppa, M.T., Symons, D.T.A., Sturm, A., and Fowle, D.A., Room Temperature Magnetic Properties of Ferrihydrite: a potential magnetic remanence carrier, Earth and Planetary Science Letters, 236, 856-870, 2005.
- Cioppa, M.T., Al-Aasm, I.S.A., Symons, D.T.A., and Gillen, K.P., Evidence for multiple remagnetizations and fluid flow events in the Wabamun Formation, Western Canada Sedimentary Basin, AAPG Special Volume on Deformation, Fluid Flow and Reservoir Appraisal in Foreland Fold and Thrust belts, 331-346., 2004.
- Cioppa, M.T., A;-Aasm, I.S., Symons, D.T.A., and K.P. Gillen, Dating penecontemporaneous dolomitization: paleomagnetic and geochemical constraints, AAPG Bulletin, 87, 71-88, 2003.
- Cioppa, M.T. and K.P. Kodama, Evaluation of ChRM/finite strain relationships due to the Alleghanian Orogeny in the Mississippian Mauch Chunk Formation, Pennsylvania, Journal of Geophysical Research, v. 108, doi: 10.1029/2001JB000249, 2003.
- Cioppa, M.T., Symons, D.T.A, Flore, M., Initial analysis of the Jurassic "Nordegg Member", Fernie Formation: Using paleomagnetism to measure source rock thermal maturity, Physics and Chemistry of the Earth, 27, 1161-1168, 2003.
- Cioppa, M.T., Magnetic evidence for timing of fluid flow in the Watrous Formation, Williston Basin: a preliminary study, Journal of Geochemical Exploration, 78-79, 349-354, 2003.
- Cioppa, M.T, and Kodama, K.P, Magnetic fabric, mineral magnetic parameters and paleosecular variation studies in Lake Waynewood, northeastern Pennsylvania: Evidence for changes in watershed dynamics, Journal of Paleolimnology, 29, 61-78, 2003.
- Symons, D.T.A., and Cioppa, M.T. The CAI and magnetic mineral unblocking temperatures: implications for the Western Canada Sedimentary Basin, Physics and Chemistry of the Earth, v. 27, 1189-1194, 2002
- Cioppa, M.T., Symons, D.T.A, Flore, M. Initial analysis of the Jurassic “Nordegg Member”, Fernie Formation: Using paleomagnetism to measure source rock thermal maturity, Physics and Chemistry of the Earth, v. 27, p. 1161-1168
- Cioppa, M.T., Symons, D.T.A., Al-Aasm, I.S., and Gillen, K.P., Evaluating the Timing of hydrocarbon generation in the Devonian Duvernay Formation: palomagnetic, rock magnetic and geochemical evidence, Marine and Petroleum Geology, 19: 275-287
- Cioppa, M.T., Lonnee, J., Al-Aasm, I.S., Symons, D.T.A., and Gillen, K.P. Facies and lithologic controls on paleomagnetism: an example from the Rainbow South Field, Alberta, Canada, Bulletin of Canadian Petroleum Geology, 49:393-407, 2001
- Symons, D.T.A., and Cioppa, M.T., Crossover plots: a useful method for plotting SIRM data in paleomagnetism, Geophysical Research Letters, 27, 1779-1782, 2000.
- Cioppa, M.T., and Symons, D.T.A., Timing hydrocarbon generation and migration: paleomagnetic and rock magnetic analysis of the Devonian Duvernay Formation, Alberta, Canada, Journal of Geochemical Exploration 69-70: 387-390, 2000
- Cioppa, M.T., Gillen, K.P., Lewchuk, M.T., and Symons, D.T.A., Orienting drill core: old and new paleomagnetic methods, Oil and Gas Journal, 98.21: 46-53, 2000.
- Cioppa, M.T., Al-Aasm I.S., Symons, D.T.A., Lewchuk, M.T., and Gillen, K.P., Correlating petrologic, geochemical, and magnetic to date diagenetic and fluid flow events in the Moose Reservoir, Alberta, Canada, Sedimentary Geology, 131, 109-129. 2000
- Symons, D.T.A., Enkin, R.J., and Cioppa, M.T. Paleomagnetism in the Western Canada Sedimentary Basin: Dating Fluid Flow and Deformation Events, Canadian Society of Petroleum Geology Bulletin 47, 534-547, 1999.
Students and Postdocs
Current Graduate Students
Hart, Janet M.Sc.
Geophysical Investigations at Landfill #3
Szabo, Erika Ph.D. (University of Western Ontario)
Paleomagnetism and rock magnetism of Red River carbonates, Williston Basin
Yurtseven, Ayca Ph.D.
Environmental Magnetism in Mining related areas
Past Graduate Students
Sapkota, Birendra Ph.D. 2012
Environmental Magnetism: Soils and Plants
Gallaway, Eric M.Sc. 2011
Sediment Transport on Beaches
Zhang, Shuwei Ph.D. (Co-supervisor) 2010
Beach Sediment tracking and sourcing
Cascadden, Shelie M.Sc. 2007
Paleomagnetism and rock magnetism of the rocks of the Trenton-Black River Groups, Dover Field Southwestern Ontario
Garner, Nicoli M.Sc. 2006
Paleomagnetism and rock magnetism of the Ordovician Trenton-Black River formations in Ontario
Igbokwe, Blessing M.Sc. 2005
Magnetic mapping of Point Pelee beaches
Hatfield, Robert 2008-2009
Environmental Magnetism: Point Pelee National Park
Shi, Ruiping 2004-2006
Environmental Magnetism; Windsor and Essex County