M.Ed. International Cohort

Note: The University of Windsor Faculty of Education graduate degree is a fully accredited, self-funded professional program. Students who register in this program are not eligible for government funding, i.e. Ontario Student Assistance Program (OSAP), and therefore must ensure that they have sufficient financial resources to meet their total cost of attendance.

During the application process, students choose one of two areas of concentration in which to conduct their studies:

  • Curriculum Studies  
  • Educational Administration
  • Second Language Acquisition, Culture and Society

Furthermore, students in this cohort complete the M.Ed. degree by following the Course-Based stream.

All courses are on-site and the degree is completed as a Full-time opportunity.

Course Enrolment Blending

This is an international cohort program. This means that generally speaking, students enrolled in the courses in this program will have been recruited from outside Canada. At this time, the majority of students are from China, but we anticipate that there will be an increasing level of ethnic diversity in the program. Most classes will be populated with such students. Occasionally, there may be enrolment blending in some courses, as feasible, with students from the Regular M. Ed. program in an effort to allow International Cohort students the experience of working alongside students who may be more experienced with the Canadian educational system.


Graduate Assistantships and University scholarships are not available to students who have enrolled in the International Cohort M. Ed. Students in the program are eligible for Research Assistantships but these are negotiated with individual faculty members. RAships are rare, and there is no guarantee on the part of the program that an RAship will be available.

Research Internship

A distinguishing feature of the International Cohort M. Ed. is the Educational Research Internship. The Internship will take place in collaboration with school board, college, university, and selected community organization leaders. It presents students with authentic assessment tasks that situates their on-going inquiries in a context that enables them to apply and further critique what has been learned previously. Individually or as part of a two or three person research team, students will engage in matters pertaining to research, program review, policy development, and so on, as appropriate. The spectrum of projects may, for example, address questions aimed at the improvement of literacy and numeracy skills, student motivation, curriculum integration, and leadership development.

Terminal Degree

This program leads to a terminal degree. That is, it does not in and of itself provide qualifications generally required for admission to a Ph. D. in Education program. Most Ph. D. in Education programs require the completion of a Master’s level thesis as an admission requirement. The International Cohort M. Ed. does not offer a thesis completion option. In rare cases, students may wish to apply for transfer to the Regular M. Ed program in order to have access to the thesis completion option. In such cases, students must meet all the admissions and graduation requirements of the new program. Please contact the office of the Associate Dean, Graduate Studies and Research if you wish to pursue this option.

International Students at the University of Windsor

The University of Windsor is proud to be known as "Canada's International University," with one of the most diverse, multicultural student bodies in Canada. 

The University of Windsor offers specialized services to our International students, including the:

Through our Soft Landing Program geared specifically to our International students, you will quickly find yourself at home.

If you have any questions regarding our program, please feel free to contact us at edugrad@uwindsor.ca.

Entry to Canada

Any or all of the following documents may be required of international students by the Canadian Immigration authorities,  when applying for a student authorization and when passing through a point of entry into Canada:

  1. A valid passport, Canadian Visa (if required), and a Student Authorization. The Visa and Student Authorization must be obtained from a Canadian Embassy or Consulate before coming to Canada.
  2. An official Letter of Acceptance for admission to the University of Windsor that also names the program of study.
  3. Evidence that the student has sufficient funds to pay for tuition fees, for return transportation, and for maintenance of the student and any accompanying dependents during the period for which the individual is admitted to Canada as a student. As evidence, the student may be required by Canadian Immigration authorities to present any one of the following documents:
  • a declaration from a parent or guardian confirming that he or she will provide sufficient funds to cover all educational costs including tuition, maintenance, and transportation;
  • written assurance from a bank that either the student or the student's guardian has sufficient funds to accept this obligation;
  • written assurance from foreign exchange control (if applicable) that the funds will be available for use in Canada;
  • copies of any letters offering scholarships or any other form of support from the University of Windsor or any other organization or government.

Check out the Pre-Arrival information on the International Student Centre website.