Authorized Approvers of Payment are responsible for:
- Checking if expense is valid charge against cost centre
- Confirming that goods or services have been received
- Verifying that goods or services have not been previously paid
- Ensuring that request for payment is accurate
- Assigning the appropriate account number
Accounts Payable is responsible for:
- Confirming invoice against a University purchase order
- Verifying whether expense is within University Policy Guidelines (Travel Policy / Entertainment Policy)
- Ensuring timely payment of payment requests and invoices
Accounts Payable will process payments as follows:
- Payments are processed every Wednesday
- These expense reports must be pending auditor approval by 16:30 on the preceding Friday
- All receipts must be attached
Vendor Invoice Payments & Payment Requests
- Payments are processed every Wednesday
- In order for vendor invoices to be paid, they must be sent to email@example.com by 12:00 the preceding Monday
- All invoices and backup must be attached
- Payment Terms per University Policy are net 30 days from date of invoice
Wire Transfer Payments
- Wire transfer payment can be used for many different types of vouchers, however these require a separate process from payments by electronic fund transfer (EFT)
- In order to process a wire transfer payment, end users must complete and submit a Wire Transfer Request Form to Accounts Payable for further processing
- Payment Request needs to be processed before the Wire payment can be sent
Travel Entertainment Expenses
The University has instituted a Travel Policy and an Entertainment Policy. These policies establish requirements for the reimbursement of travel & entertainment related business expenditures incurred by University employees in connection with the performance of their respective duties unless the terms for which they are appointed provides that different rules and/or policies apply.
Key Responsibilities for the Traveller
- Ensuring claim is accurate, conforms with Policy and that all expenditures are supported by detailed receipts
- Proper completion of an expense report
- Timely submission to Accounts Payable
Key Responsibilities for the Authorized Approving Officer
- Duty to accurately review expense reports and appropriate supporting documentation (receipts) for compliance
- Ensuring funding is available to cover expenses
Key Responsibilities for the AP Staff
- Processing requests in a timely fashion
- Ensuring claims are in compliance with Policy
For reference purposes, below is an excerpt to guide you when determining what expenses may not be considered acceptable for claiming against your University accounts.
- Entertainment Expenses are not to be charged to the University unless they are incurred in the bona fide entertainment of University visitors. Luncheons, breakfasts, dinners, parties, receptions, etc., primarily for your own faculty or staff members, are not proper charges against University funds.
- Gifts, memorials and donations are personal expenses and are not to be charged against University funds. The Human Resources Department sends flowers on the occasion of a death in the immediate family of any staff member, thus other floral tributes by individual Faculties, Schools, or Departments must be paid for by the donors.
Any further questions regarding non-allowable expenses should be directed to the Finance Department.
Direct Deposit (EFT) Payment
All suppliers requesting payments in Canadian or US funds must submit the appropriate Supplier Direct Deposit form to firstname.lastname@example.org. These payments are automatically and securely deposited into a designated bank account, with an automated e-mail remittance advice sent to the specified e-mail account as confirmation of payment being deposited.
Further details regarding US dollar payments made to US Suppliers can be found here.
All University of Windsor employees requesting reimbursements can only be reimbursed in Canadian funds, and must update their banking information in UWinsite Finance.
- Accounts Payable Department
- Rachelle Badour – Senior Accounts Payable Clerk
- Isabel Giurdanella – Accounts Payable Clerk
- Jasen Badour – Accounts Payable Clerk