October 19 - November 15, 2020
Every day, we make choices about the foods and beverages we consume that can make a difference in our ability to maintain a healthy weight and reduce the risk of developing chronic illnesses, such as heart disease, stroke, obesity and type 2 diabetes.
You do not need to make radical, complex and restrictive changes to eat healthier. From October 19 to November 15, 2020 the Workplace Wellness Committee is inviting employees to participate in the Virtual “Healthy Eating, Healthy Life” Workplace Challenge. The challenge is four weeks in length with a new challenge theme (healthy eating habit) each week. Developing new healthy eating habits take time. As new healthy eating habits are introduced each week, employees are encouraged to keep up any healthy habits incorporated in previous weeks.
Faculty and staff can participate as individuals or can organize into virtual teams of 2 to 6 people to participate in the challenge.
- Form a team of 2 to 6 employees
- Select a team captain and name your team
- Team Captain will then:
- Download the information sheet for the week
- Review the information sheet with the healthy eating habit for the week and identify concrete actions that you would like to take during the week to replace unhealthy habits with healthier ones.
- Earn 1 point per day (Monday – Sunday) for incorporating a healthy habit, specific to the week’s theme. You can use the same habit multiple times during the week for a total of 7 points for the week. For example, during week 1 (Hold the Salt), give yourself 1 point on Monday if you used fresh vegetables rather than canned vegetables to prepare dinner.
- Optional: Earn bonus points during weeks 2 to 4 of the challenge. Bonus points are earned when in addition to incorporating a healthy eating habit associated with the theme of the week, you maintained a healthy eating habit from the previous week(s). The bonus points are included to recognize your efforts towards making sustainable change.
- At the end of the challenge, add up all the points earned during the 4-week challenge.
- Record your daily points on the Individual Tracking Sheet and submit the tracking sheet to firstname.lastname@example.org every Tuesday to be entered into a draw for a weekly prize.
- Submit the final tracking sheet by November 17 to be entered into the Challenge Champion competition. The individual with the highest number of points earned will become the challenge champion in the individual category.
- Each member of the team will keep track of the number of points earned using the Individual Tracking Sheet.
- Each Monday morning, team members will send their weekly tracking sheet to the Team Captain.
- The Team Captain will compile the number of points earned by the team for the previous week and submit the Team Tracking Sheet every Tuesday to be entered into the weekly prize draw.
- The Team Captain will submit the final Team Tracking Sheet no later than November 17 to be entered into the Challenge Champion competition. The challenge champion will be identified by dividing the total number of points earned by the team by the number of team members.
- Plan Ahead – This information sheet includes tips for the grocery store, how to save cooking time and staples to keep in the pantry.
- Self-Reflection (PDF Fillable) – Use this self-reflection sheet to help you reflect on the healthy eating habits introduced during the challenge.
- Healthy Eating, Healthy Life Workplace Challenge Microsoft Teams Group will be established to keep connected, share ideas, recipes, etc. If you wish to join the group, check the appropriate box on the registration form.
- At the end of the challenge, all participants will be invited to a virtual “End of Challenge Celebration” during which final challenge champions will be announced.
Thank you to our Challenge Prize Sponsors:
Office of the President
Office of the Vice-President, Human Resources
Alumni Affairs and Donor Communications
Athletics and Recreational Services
Small changes over time can make a big difference to your health.
For more information contact Human Resources at: email@example.com