LLC has the following openings for Teaching Assistants in Modern Languages courses for the Fall 2023 Term (September 1 to December 31):
|COURSE NUMBER||COURSE TITLE||TIME (LOCATION)||POSITIONS / HOURS|
|ITLN-2600-01||Italian Culture & Civilization I||MW 11:30-12:50 pm (EH 186)||1 / 20|
TA positions are subject to sufficient enrolment and final budgetary approval. Projected LLC TA Funding Allocation, based on last year for 2023-2024, is $18,296.00 or 800 hours at the TA II rate of $22.87. The actual number of TA hours assigned to each course ill be based on current enrolment. (All positions are subject to sufficient enrolment and final budgetary approval.) According to the CUPE 4580 Collective Agreement wages are; TA I $21.22, TA II $22.87, and TA III $30.01 per hour for undergraduate students.
Expected TA duties
TA employees are expected to make themselves available to report for all assigned duties, both in-person/on-campus and remote/online duties. Most Fall term 2023 classes across the University are expected to be held face-to-face on campus or have a face-to-face component. Refer to the University’s Return to campus webpage (www.uwindsor.ca/returntocampus) for details about the policies in effect through the Fall 2023 semester.
Please note that before you begin work as a GA/TA, you must complete the new hire paperwork if this is your first employment contract or it has been a year since your last employment contract with the University and submit it to email@example.com. Please also ensure that if you have worked for the University within the last year that all legal documents are still valid. Once your contract is approved by Graduate Studies and is then processed by Human Resources, your employee number will be sent to you by email. This will allow you to complete the mandatory training which must be completed within the first two weeks of your contract. If your current study/work permit and/or SIN is set to expire during your GA/TA contract, you must notify the department immediately and provide updated valid documents to firstname.lastname@example.org prior to commencing work. https://www.uwindsor.ca/humanresources/services-initatives/employee-recruitment/student-appointments
Students cannot commence their GA/TA duties until email confirmation of the approval of their contract is received from Human Resources.
TA appointments shall be offered to qualified applicants in accordance with the criteria specified in Article 12:04 of the Collective Agreement. To be eligible for a Teaching Assistantship you must be a registered student:
- Must be registered for the term of work at the time of hiring.
- Must maintain registration throughout the term and must be in good standing in the degree program.
- Note that Teaching Assistants cannot be employed for more than 100 hours per semester total. If you already have applied for another TA position (in this or another department) note that the total combined hours for all TA appointments held in all departments cannot exceed 100 hours total for the period September 1 to December 31, 2023.
Required essential qualifications
- Applicants must have prior experience in the course area and be in good academic standing.
- A minimum Major average of 78% and cumulative average of 78% is required of all applicants.
- Applicants must be senior (3rd or 4th year) program majors or 2nd-year majors who have taken the course in a prior term.
- Applicants must have taken the course for which they are applying for with a minimum of 78% grade.
- Applicants must have access to a computer with a reliable internet connection with video and audio capabilities.
- Applicants must be familiar with Blackboard and MS Teams or be able to acquire knowledge through training.
- Upon being hired, new TAs must complete one-time mandatory accessibility and health & safety training (“Accessibility Training”, “Violence in the Workplace” and "WHMIS Training", etc). Please log in to "Required Training" to see what training is required.
The GATA Network offers free interactive workshops targeted specifically at the challenges facing GAs and TAs.
TA Allocation Applications are available for download. Applications are to be submitted to Diana Wu (email@example.com). Deadline for receiving applications is August 28, 2023. However, applications may be accepted until all positions are filled.
In pursuit of the University of Windsor's Equity Plan, members from the designated groups (Women, Aboriginal Peoples, Visible Minorities, Persons with Disabilities, and Members of Sexual Minorities) are encouraged to apply.