University of Detroit Mercy: International Student Office

Once I’m accepted into the VABE program at UWindsor who will be contacting me from UDM?

Mr. Stephen M. Coddington, who is the International Admissions Counselor and Assistant Director of Admissions at the University of Detroit Mercy, will be contacting you by email once you have confirmed your acceptance into the VABE program at the University of Windsor. He will request biographical information which will assist you in being processed in a timely manner on the US side. It is absolutely essential that you be in communication with him as soon as you receive his email so you have your I-20 packet before arriving in Windsor to begin classes. Please note that there are 2 fees associated with your I-20 form, a SEVIS fee and an I-94 fee.

A tour of the UDM campus will be arranged for all incoming students after the Labour Day weekend and before classes begin at UWindsor. Please arrange to be available for the tour, as you will also visit the US Immigrations Office to process your forms. Dr. Veronika Mogyorody, VABE Coordinator, will be in contact with all incoming first year students as to the date of the UDM tour.

Mr. Coddington can be reached at:

University of Detroit Mercy
International Admissions Office, FAC 10
4001 W. McNichols Rd.
Detroit, MI 48221-3038
Voice: 1-313-993-3310

If I should have any questions regarding UDM who should I contact?

Will Wittig, Associate Professor, and Director of Architecture at the University of Detroit Mercy will assist you with any questions you may have about the School of Architecture. His contact information is:

Voice: 1- 313-993-1532

Do I need a passport if I'm in the VABE program?

YES. The law requires that Canadians must present a valid passport in order to enter the United States. This means that all VABE students must have in their possession a valid passport in order to attend classes at the University of Detroit Mercy. The time it takes to process a passport can be anywhere from 2-6 weeks, therefore it is highly recommended that students apply for their passport early if they do not already have one. Students who do not have a valid passport in their possession will not be allowed to cross the border or attend classes in the United States. It is the student’s responsibility to ensure they have a valid passport.

Do I need a car?

Yes and No. Students in their first year of the VABE program will not need a vehicle to commute between the University of Windsor and the University of Detroit Mercy. Arrangements for a shuttle bus will be provided for both the Fall and Winter semesters. This will give students an opportunity to become familiar with the UDM campus and its general location within the city of Detroit.

During a student’s second and third year, they will be expected to make their own arrangements to commute to the School of Architecture at the University of Detroit Mercy.

Do I need to get a NEXUS card if I have a car?

Students in their second and third year who will be traveling frequently between Canada and the US may wish to consider obtaining a NEXUS card, but it is not mandatory. The advantage of the NEXUS inspection program is that it allows pre-screened, low-risk travellers to be processed with little or no delay by United States and Canadian border officials. Approved NEXUS applicants are issued a photo-identification proximity card and cross the border in a dedicated lane, where they present their proximity card. VABE Students interested in this program must make their own arrangements.

Do I need health insurance to attend classes in Detroit?

YES. All VABE students must obtain out of province health insurance. This is available through the University of Windsor student health care package and all VABE students must purchase it. (You cannot opt out!) Health coverage provided by OHIP and other Canadian provinces does not pay for the true U.S. costs of health care. In the case of a serious illness or injury, depending on the provincial coverage, a student could experience serious financial hardship if they do not have out of province health insurance.

Are there forms required by Canadian students to be able to commute to classes at the University of Detroit Mercy?

YES. VABE students will be living in Canada and commuting to classes at the UDM and therefore require an I-20 form indicating their ability to commute. This is arranged directly through the University of Detroit. Please refer to the Canadian Students section of the University of Detroit Mercy web site.