The nominations deadline for the 2024 EDI Awards is January 31, 2024.
Save the date for the 2024 EDI Awards Celebration: April 3, 2024.
For information on award recipients and photos from the 2023 EDI Awards, please visit our past events page.
The University of Windsor's Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion (EDI) Awards honour, celebrate, and shine a light on individuals and teams who have made significant contributions toward building a more diverse, equitable, and inclusive campus and community and who have demonstrated an unwavering commitment to addressing the systemic barriers, contemporary and historical injustices, and inequities experienced by Indigenous peoples, people with disabilities, racialized people, the 2SLGBTQQIA+ community, women, and additional equity-deserving groups.
The EDI Awards are an opportunity to recognize:
- Outstanding achievements in practice, events, applied research, policy, programs, advocacy, community education and/or other activities;
- Ongoing work and/or completed projects and accomplishments;
- Outstanding EDI work supporting students, faculty, staff, alumni, and/or the community.
Award Categories & Nomination Instructions
One award will be given in each of the following categories:
- Student EDI Award
- Faculty EDI Award
- Staff EDI Award
- Alumni EDI Award
- Team/Committee EDI Award
- Aspire EDI Award (new for 2024)
- Community Group EDI Award (new for 2024)
For information on each category, please see "who can be nominated?" below.
- Student EDI Award: Current UWindsor students
- Faculty EDI Award: Current UWindsor faculty and sessional instructors
Note: faculty for whom equity, diversity, and inclusion is the primary responsibility of their role should be nominated in the Aspire Award category.
- Staff EDI Award: Current UWindsor staff members
Note: staff for whom equity, diversity, and inclusion is the primary responsibility of their role should be nominated in the Aspire Award category.
- Team/Committee EDI Award: Teams and committees made up of UWindsor faculty, staff, and/or students
- Alumni EDI Award: Any UWindsor alumnus
- Aspire EDI Award (new for 2024): Any individual actively inspiring and advancing Indigenization, equity, diversity, and inclusion across the University of Windsor, including those for whom this work is their primary responsibility as faculty or staff
- Community Group EDI Award (new for 2024): Any local community group, charity, and/or non-profit whose work, through formal or informal partnerships with the University of Windsor, has advanced Indigenization, equity, diversity, and inclusion
Nominees must meet the following award criteria:
Contributed to the advancement of and advocacy for Indigenization, Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion and/or contributed to a more welcoming and safer environment and/or worked to dismantle racism and other forms of oppression and discrimination.
For example, the nominee(s):
• Embedded equity, diversity, and inclusion into their teaching, research, and/or engagement activities.
• Participated actively in committees, working groups, and collaborations designed to advance equity, diversity, inclusion, and Indigenization.
• Dismantled structures, processes, and systems that systematically marginalize or exclude.
• Contributed to an inclusive teaching and learning environment that nurtures multiple and intersectional ways of knowing.
• Enriched the curriculum through the incorporation of Indigenous pedagogies (Indigenous Ways of Knowing, thinking, feeling and being).
• Contributed to a more inclusive and respectful work and learning environment.
• Contributed to more inclusive research environments and strengthened meaningful research partnerships with equity-deserving communities and other marginalized groups.
• Led/implemented an initiative or action aimed at adapting or changing procedures, policies, or practices to make them more inclusive.
• Redressed the inequities of normative cultures and practices within their circles of influence.
• Led and/or actively participated in initiatives designed to combat racism and all forms of oppression and discrimination.
• Encouraged or led others to work together to dismantle barriers to full participation in university life and/or the work environment.
• Developed innovative programs, activities, and/or events that facilitate full participation and foster a more inclusive, safe, and welcoming campus environment.
Faculty, staff, students, and alumni of the University of Windsor can nominate an individual or team for an award.
Individuals cannot self-nominate. When nominating a team/committee or community group, the nominator cannot be included in the list of team/committee members being nominated.
The nomination consists of the following:
Online nomination form
To complete the nomination form, you will need the following information:
- Name and contact information of the individual being nominated. For team/committee, you will need the name and contact information of each member of the team/committee. For community group, you will need contact information for a representative of the group as well as information regarding the size of the organization and the scope of its work.
- A description of how the nominee meets the award criteria, including specific examples to reflect the achievements/contributions of the nominee and the impact of their contributions. It is recommended that you first write the description in a word processor and then paste it into the Qualtrics nomination form (description not to exceed 800 words/6,000 characters).
- If you prefer to submit your nomination in another format, please email EDIawards@uwindsor.ca.
Up to two (2) letters of Support
In addition to the nomination form, you are required to submit a minimum of one (1) and maximum of two (2) letters of support by the nomination deadline. These should be submitted through the Qualtrics form linked here. Please note:
- Someone other than the nominator must write the letter of support.
- Each letter cannot exceed 350 words.
- The letters may consist of compiled testimonials from various individuals.
- If you prefer to submit your letters or testimonials in another format, please email EDIawards@uwindsor.ca.
Award recipients will receive a hand-blown glass sculpture commissioned by the University of Windsor and created by local company Soffi Studio (formerly Tsunami Glassworks). There is no monetary award.
- Nominees will receive notification of their nomination.
- Nominations will be reviewed by the Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion Awards Committee. The committee reserves the right to determine the eligibility of all nominations and will base decisions solely on the information included in the nomination form and letter of support.
For more information/inquiries, please e-mail EDIawards@uwindsor.ca.